LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which control uses type "Numeric"?

@Ben wrote:

Thanks again Shane.

And just for the record, Shanes abandoned code has more functionality than what I have developed (so far Smiley Wink ).

Ben

Then, can you please post the code for all of us to learn... ?! Smiley Wink
- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 25
(726 Views)

parthabe wrote;

Then, can you please post the code for all of us to learn... ?!

Good question!

Sure it would be easy to to just post what I have so far, but I would be doing multiple harms if I did. Smiley Surprised

The exercise I went through to develop what I have already, was a wondeful learning experience. I spent about three days fighting my way through all of the challenges. If I just posted "the answers" you and others would not have the oppertunity to make the knowledge your own.

Beisdes, that would break my personal rule of "never post anything useful" to the forums.  Smiley Wink

But, if you really want to have code that does the universal save restore thing you have two options.

1) OpenG has a version that uses variants that was originally developed by Jean-Pierre Drolet. Just down load and use it.

2) Start "rolling your own". Start a thread (maybe an open Nugget?) to start asking questions to get over the various hurdles (there are at least three mini-challenges to over-come). Those who have walked the path before you can help you. Keep updating the thread with your updates and improvements as you go. If you choose to take on this Challenge and follow it through, you will become a giant both in your LV powers and also here in the forums.

If you decide you are willing to take on this Challenge, I will personally do everything I can to help.

Anyone up to the Challenge!

Ben

"If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will eat for a life time."

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 22 of 25
(717 Views)
Ben Write "The exercise I went through to develop what I have already, was a wondeful learning experience."

I agree 100%.  Even though the code I sent you was sitting around for a couple of years essentially doing nothing (some of my programs still use it, what isn't broke....) it was really and truly a rewarding excercise.

Once you've found out all of what I (we) had to find out to be able to write something like that, a lot of other seemingly unconnected things start making sense.  It gives a more "complete" picture of the innards of LV.

I might polish up some of the routines and submit it to OpenG.  There are some other very interesting applications besides INI files.....

Shane.

PS
"If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will eat for a life time."
Hmmm, may be, but the irony of the current state of over-fishing of many international waters is not lost on me (plus the effect of climate changes on fish spawning patterns).....  My dad's a Fisherman.
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
Message 23 of 25
(711 Views)
You are correct.  If you query a reference for its ClassName, you will never get Control as the answer.  However, from another point of view, they all use Control, since it is their base class (sorry, my PhD got the better of me Smiley Wink).

TIP:  If you are doing a universal save/restore utility, do not use ClassName to determine what something is.  Use ClassID instead.  ClassName has been known to change from LabVIEW version to LabVIEW version.  ClassID does not.  It is unfortunate that the resulting code is not as readable.  Nothing a few free labels won't cure...
Message 24 of 25
(703 Views)
Thanks for the tip. I just wrote such a utility and used the ClassName because of the readability. I will switch before a change gets me.

Lynn
Message 25 of 25
(691 Views)