LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which control uses type "Numeric"?

I see your point about the parent/ chile relationship.  I am wrong if this was a parent class it would be at a higher level.  An interface is more likely, but interfaces usually imply methods, not properties.  It is hard to figure out OO from labview since (pre 8.2) the OO class structure was not part of the common vocabulary in our community.
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
Message 11 of 25
(1,266 Views)

My thoughts exactly Shane.

You wrote "Automatic handling of object references based on their references.  And no Ben, you can't have it   "

Ah but does it do arbitrary combinations of nested arrays (2d arrays supported, more possible) and clusters?

Hmmmm?

I ask because I had never read about anyone doing that while maintaining the datatype ( I mean no variants ).

Still curious,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 12 of 25
(1,266 Views)
Ben wrote
"

Ah but does it do arbitrary combinations of nested arrays (2d arrays supported, more possible) and clusters?

Hmmmm? "

Well Smiley Tongue.  Yes it did.  Clusters of arrays of clusters of clusters ad nauseum.  It dealt with them all.  BUT it was buggy and SLOW.

I'll see if I can find a version to send you, but on your head be it.

Shane

Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
Message 13 of 25
(1,239 Views)
"

I'll see if I can find a version to send you, but on your head be it.

"

Yes please do!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 25
(1,231 Views)
Ben,

can you give me an address to send the code to?  ben-at-dsautomation.com?

It's too old, ugly and buggy to post here.  Plus the fact that there was a lot of work behind it......

Depending on your opinion of the code, I might post it here later.

Shane.
Message 15 of 25
(1,209 Views)
My bad, I have your address already!

You -shock horror- posted it in the forum already.......

I'll send you the VIs right away...

Shane.
Message 16 of 25
(1,194 Views)

Thanks again Shane.

And just for the record, Shanes abandoned code has more functionality than what I have developed (so far Smiley Wink ).

Ben

Message 17 of 25
(1,181 Views)
In LabVIEW 8.2, Numeric is the parent class of Digital, ColorRamp, NamedNumeric, and NumericWithScale.  These parent classes are highly useful when dealing with large numbers of indeterminate objects.  For example, suppose you want to change the color of all the labels of every control on your front panel to red.  You could do this as follows.  Get GObject references to all objects on the panel/pane using the property All Objects[ ] (GObject is almost the highest parent class).  Loop on these references.  At each iteration, upcast to type Control.  If the upcast succeeds, change, the label color.  If it fails, move on.  Don't forget to close the references when you are done.  The key here is that you don't need to know whether each reference is a digital numeric, array, boolean, or whatever.  You don't run into many cases where you need this type of programming, but it is very useful when you do.

Message Edited by DFGray on 04-24-2007 08:22 AM

Message 18 of 25
(1,181 Views)

So the answer to my original questions is...

"None. There are are not any control that use that type."

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 25
(1,171 Views)
The good thing about the numeric type is that you can create subVIs that modify properties of a numeric control (like caption, text color, setting it's value, ...) independently of it's actual type. Use the numeric type reference as control in the subVI and wire any numeric reference to it.
It's the "more generic class" of all numerical controls.

Daniel

Message 20 of 25
(1,150 Views)