LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which control uses type "Numeric"?

I was testing a universal save/restore utility when I ran across a mystery. I wanted to test the ability of the code to deal with all data types but I could not find a control that uses the type "numeric" to do my testing.

Does anyone know what type of control is "numeric" ?

Its probably right under my nose!

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 04-23-2007 08:11 AM

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 1 of 25
(5,279 Views)
I couldn't find any. Probably, this type is similar to an abstract class, that is, it only defines an interface (properties, methods) common to several more specific control classes, but it is not "built" as is in any control
Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
Message 2 of 25
(5,246 Views)
You know, it's interesting what one finds when digginig around the menus a while...

Don't know the answer the question, only speculation. It might have something to do with the "Classic" controls. If you right-click on the class specifier and select "Create Constant" the icon you get implies the old-style controls, whereas the "Digital" class specifier implies the new-style controls:

I suspect though, it's like Paolo said, that it's an abstract class.

Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 04-23-2007 08:56 AM

Message 3 of 25
(5,244 Views)
I would also go with Paolo's guess.

For the records, the Numeric class has less properties than the digital class.

Shane.

Message Edited by shoneill on 04-23-2007 04:31 PM

Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
Download All
Message 5 of 25
(5,223 Views)

I went back to the classic palette of LV 6.1 and stil no controls of that type.

Anyone with LV 5.1 or a memory of such details going back prior?

Still looking,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 6 of 25
(5,199 Views)

@shoneill wrote:
For the records, the Numeric class has less properties than the digital class.

That's because Digital is a child class of Numeric. It inherits all of its properties (as you can see in the second from the bottom section in your top image) and it adds its own properties which only apply to itself.

It would be the same with the other classes inheriting from the Numeric class.

BTW, that's the general meaning of the seperate sections in property lists - each section comes from a different class. The first four are the Generic class, the next two are the Gobject class, the next group is the Control class, etc.

Yes this should be a base class for all numeric controls but is not a complete class (abstract).  The reason for such classes is to develop a class hierarchy.  This base class will allow for subclasses to be related and share common properties and methods.
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
Message 8 of 25
(5,187 Views)
I was aware of the differentiation between the parent/child classes (Even the line-separators).  I have previously written something to what Ben's writing now.  Automatic handling of object references based on their references.  And no Ben, you can't have it 😉 (Previous employer - sorry)

I thought it was interesting anyway to highlight the visible differences between them.

I might not program OO, but I do understand the ideas and functionality behind it.

What I still don't QUITE understand though is why the "numeric" is on the same level of the class list as "digital" if it's a parent.  Shouldn't it be a level higher?

Shane.
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
Message 9 of 25
(5,181 Views)

Also, I just checked - LV 7.0 has 79 numeric controls from 6 classes - none of which is the numeric class. They are ColorRamp, Digital, Enum, Knob, Ring and Slide.

You can see the code in the attached.