LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which VIs execute on error?

Hi,

is there an easy way to tell which built in labview VIs / nodes runs as expected even if their "error in" terminal has an error? There are certain VIs do and certain VIs dont execute on error, but I have not found an easy way to understand which one does this or that without experimenting which is kinda time consuming.

thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,970 Views)

Hi 1984,

which built in labview VIs / nodes runs as expected even if their "error in" terminal has an error?

All functions run as expected!

Maybe your "expectation" is wrong? 😄

Generic answer: all "Close"-type functions (FileClose, CloseReference, …) will execute even with an error at their input.

Specific answer: read the LabVIEW help for each function…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 5
(2,962 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Generic answer: all "Close"-type functions (FileClose, CloseReference, …) will execute even with an error at their input.

Not quite.  MOST "Close"-type functions will.  I know I ran into one that did not.  Just can't remember which one.  But when in doubt, read the LabVIEW Help on the function and it will clearly state if it behaves differently from normal (not run) when there is an error.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,936 Views)

I probably miss something here... I have checked the help of the Daqmx close, clear and reset VIs, each one of them say:

"This input provides standard error in functionality."

Clicking to the link of the "standard error in" says: "This node runs normally only if no error occurred before this node runs. If an error occurs while this node runs, it runs normally and sets its own error status in error out."

But this is not true... eg the reset VI resets the hardware no matter of the contents of it's error in terminal. If I misunderstand then we must define "normally" as for me the sentence above means that if the error in terminal has an error then it wont execute.

For the Daqmx read and write VI the helps says: "error in describes error conditions that occur before this VI or function runs. The default is no error. If an error occurred before this VI or function runs, the VI or function passes the error in value to error out. If an error occurs while this VI or function runs, the VI or function runs normally and sets its own error status in error out."

I know that daqmx read and write wont get executed if an error occured before.

For me the two looks the same and I really have no clue which one runs no matter whats on the error in terminal.

Pls enlight me.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,908 Views)

Sounds like you found a bug in the documentation.  You would not be the first.  If you really want to know for VIs, just open them up and check to see what happens when there is an error.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,891 Views)