LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to get 249 ohm resistors for current input on SCXI-1102

Solved!
Go to solution

We use a SCXI-1102 input module and 1303 terminal block to take thermocouple readings.  We want to add a current transducer to the DAQ.  It looks like we need to solder a 249 ohm resistor into the 1102.  I searched the NI website but cannot find where to get them from NI.  I read NI offers packs of four resistors.  Is there a specific part number I should search for?

P.S.  I thought we used a current sensor years ago with the same DAQ equipment but the transducer stopped working and we discontinued using it.  Is it possible the SCXI-1102/1303 was set up from the factory to make current readings on channel 0?  I don't see any resistor on the equipment.  A photo of what I am looking for would be great!  Can you tell I am a mechanical guy without much faith in his ability to do electrical work like soldering to the SCXI-1102?  Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,101 Views)

Does it have to be from NI?  You can get resistors anywhere.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,078 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Willard

Hi Willard, 

The SCXI-1102 is designed to acquire voltage signals of current signals from 0 - 20 mA; however, the 1303 terminal block is designed specifically for making thermocouple measurements. The SCXI-1102/1303 was not set up for current readings on any specific channel. However, perhaps you used a different terminal block designed specifically for current measurement such as the SCXI-1308? 

Regarding the resistors you require,you can use the resistors found here: 

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/1644

Julianne K
Systems Engineer, Embedded Systems
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer
National Instruments
Message 3 of 11
(3,053 Views)
Twenty bucks?!?!?!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,049 Views)

But hey, they are vintage through-hole style! 🙂

Sorry, could not resist.

Ohm my gosh that was bad.

Please show some tolerance to these bad puns.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 5 of 11
(3,041 Views)

Gee, I never thought I'd find a place that sells resistors more expensive than Radio Shack.

The universe never ceases to amaze me.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,018 Views)

Julianne thanks for the reply.  I finally got around to opening up both SCXI-1102 modules and neither one has a resistor in any of the RCLx positions.  We bought the first DAQ in September 2002 and the second one around 2005(?).  Both use SCXI-1102/1303 combinations.  Our first amp transducer was purchased around 2003.  I believe its output was 0-5 mA.  As I mentioned in my posting, it quit working years ago and we finally purchased a new one whose output is 0-5 mA.  I know we used the old one for years and the LabVIEW software displayed the correct amperage values.  However, I don’t know how we did it!  Maybe I was fortunate in the way I configured that channel and used a conversion formula in LabVIEW to get approximate values for current.  It is a mystery.

We will try the 249 ohm resistors.  Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,983 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:
Twenty bucks?!?!?!

Yeah, 20 cents for the parts, and $19.80 for the convenience.  Smiley Wink

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,977 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:
Twenty bucks?!?!?!

Est Shipping 10-15 DAYS!?!?!?

are they being carted by pack-mule?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,923 Views)

wow... $5 per resistor... Smiley Very Happy