From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to download DAQmx 9.1.5

Solved!
Go to solution

@Scotty2541 wrote:

I came across board this while doing a search.  It's the closest thing I could find (quickly) to ask a similar question.

Where can I download a driver for PCI-6503, Windows XP or Win 7, that isn't a 1.5GIG download?

I can't believe it will take 1+ gig to drive this board (which I am buying surplus).

I wish to interface with the board using C/C++.  I also wish to use it as a learning tool for writing a my own driver based on the RLP model.

Isn't there a download for a driver that will handle this, which won't saturate my bandwidth for hours (or days)?

Even the "nimhddk_windowsWDM" download is reasonable size, but the INF doesn't have the 6503 card, or the PID listed in it (0x17d0), so I assume that the package doesn't work with the 6503 board.

In fact, everything I've searched doesn't have any reference to tutorials to intros to the PCI-6503 board from the driver point of view.  (I have the user manual 374938b.pdf, and a handful of other docs)

Where would I find such a sample driver?

Thanks,

-Scott

You are going to have to download the 1.5G file.

If you are at work with the high speed servers, what is the problem?

At home on Comcast's slowest service, it takes me about an hour.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(842 Views)

It's not for work.  It's a hobby project at this point.

I went ahead and pulled it down.  Ran the EXE as an unzip...

Now I have 1000's of files, and 900 directories.  I didn't want to run a 1.5 gig install on my personal hobby PC.  I don't have Labview,  MS Studiio, or any of the other stuff.  That's a lot of forest, to find one little tree.

Oh well.  Maybe someone else makes simple PIO product out there, with a easy to find driver.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(831 Views)
What language were you planning on using, then? You posted to a LabVIEW board.

The NI driver covers all of the DAQ boards from NI but it appears you installed much more of the support files than what you need.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(826 Views)

Yes, I am not using Labview, and this is quite a lot more than I need.

As my original post said, this was the closest forum message board I could find regarding downloading a driver.  The PCI 6503 card is just a PIO board, and since I was replying to an NI engineer, I figured saying so would be redundant.

It apeared to me, through all my searches,  that the DAQ mx download was the only way to find something to drive this PIO board. Which was a factor that landed my in this forum.  Although my question was looking for an alternative.

As a background, I will be doing a lot of driver level development in the future (for NI and other products), I purchased a PIO board (surplus), and am using this to learn to program it in C (the board, not the language, I already have decades of C).  The logical progression I intend to make, is to access the card first using the driver via a user program. Then write my own custom driver so 'critical' tasks can be done in kernel mode, rather than user mode.

So, I could not find a good forum to post in.  Landing in this was luck. I was just hoping to reply to a posting by "Seth B." and get his recomendation, since he is an NI engineer.

But any advice is appreciated.

-Scott

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(814 Views)
There is a multifunction DAQ board that you could have posted to and all drivers are available by clicking on the support link at the top of the page.

You posted to an old thread and since the majority of users here are not NI employees, chances are you won't get any specific user to respond.

During the installation, you are given a choice of language support. What did you select? Did you find the text based examples?

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(807 Views)

Hadn't gone that far yet.

The PCI 6503 page only directed me to that 1.5 Gig DAQ mx download.  But I found a NIRLP driver example, built it, and am looking at what it takes to modify the INF/source code to make it install for this board.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(804 Views)
p.s. There is an alternative driver called DAQmx Base. It is primarily used on non-Windows computers and it is not as full-featured. Since your card is about the most basic type of DIO, it would probably be sufficient. The c examples would need to be modified for the different function calls.

Another thing I should have mentioned earlier is the program called Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX). This gets installed on your desktop and its a utility that you can use to configure and test the board. You'll want to verify that your used board actuality works.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(803 Views)

Thanks.

Searching for "multifunction DAQ " isn't turning up any forum message boards like you mentioned.  Most everything is ' in Labview'  in the subject or content.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(799 Views)

I have no idea what you are doing. From the main page, you should see most active hardware boards. 

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(795 Views)

@Scotty2541 wrote:

It's not for work.  It's a hobby project at this point.

I went ahead and pulled it down.  Ran the EXE as an unzip...

Now I have 1000's of files, and 900 directories.  I didn't want to run a 1.5 gig install on my personal hobby PC.  I don't have Labview,  MS Studiio, or any of the other stuff.  That's a lot of forest, to find one little tree.

Oh well.  Maybe someone else makes simple PIO product out there, with a easy to find driver.

NI products are very prevalent in industry.

But if you don't want to put in the effort then it is your call.

When you run the EXE, the files are placed in C:\National Instruments Downloads\NI-DAQmx\9.9.0

From there, you would double-click on setup.exe

You'll want to do a Custom install.

Then, be sure to select ANSI C Support under Application Development Support

If you have any thoughts on using .NET in the future, select those support files as well.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(770 Views)