LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where i can find controls?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi.Sorry for my very basic question but i want to create a custom button.Where i can save it( which folder/ path) for use from VI control's pallette? 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,589 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Claudinho18

If you save controls and VIs in the user.lib folder they will show up in the User Libraries sub palettes.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361N-01/lvhowto/adding_vis_and_controls/

Customizing a control involves right clicking it and going to Advanced >> Customize, and from there you can save the ctl (control) file.  You can also use this control without having to drop it from the palette by opening the palette and going to Select a Control... or dragging it to the front panel from an explorer window, among a few other methods.

When it comes to fancy reuse you can use VIPM to create packages which also has a palette editing feature.  Then users of your reuse install the package and it puts files where they need to go, and installs these custom palettes.

Message 2 of 4
(2,559 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

If you save controls and VIs in the user.lib folder they will show up in the User Libraries sub palettes.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361N-01/lvhowto/adding_vis_and_controls/

Customizing a control involves right clicking it and going to Advanced >> Customize, and from there you can save the ctl (control) file.  You can also use this control without having to drop it from the palette by opening the palette and going to Select a Control... or dragging it to the front panel from an explorer window, among a few other methods.

When it comes to fancy reuse you can use VIPM to create packages which also has a palette editing feature.  Then users of your reuse install the package and it puts files where they need to go, and installs these custom palettes.

Wow!

Reads like you could write the book on this subject... Wait! I think you just did.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,552 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Reads like you could write the book on this subject... Wait! I think you just did. 

Thanks for the complement.  I've thought about many times presenting on VIPM features and how I use them at user groups, NI Week, or just a series of blog posts.  Of course I need to finish my other series of blog posts first on the automotive CAN bus.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,533 Views)