LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I download LabVIEW NI Developer Suite 2012 64-bit?

Solved!
Go to solution

We have the install DVDs for LabVIEW NI Developer Suite 2012 32-bit. On the support page for LabVIEW 64-bit vs 32-bit FAQ, it says to download the 64-bit version in the "The Windows installer can be downloaded via the Drivers and Updates: LabVIEW 64-Bit section of our website", but the Developer Suite for 2012 64-bit is not listed.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,677 Views)

Do you need to install LabVIEW 64-bit?  The vast majority of people find that LabVIEW 32-bit more than meets their needs.  It also has the most support for various add-ons.

Message 2 of 13
(4,674 Views)

Also I believe you are only allowed to use (other than evaluation versions) the products that you purchaced a licence for.

That is if you purchaced LV-32bit then you do not automatically get LV-64bit just because you upgraded to a 64bit OS.

That being said 64bit LV 2012 was on page three of the downloads.

http://www.ni.com/download/labview-development-system-2012/3104/en/

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,654 Views)
Absolutely incorrect. You do have the rights to use both 32- and 64-bit versions.
Message 4 of 13
(4,639 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
Absolutely incorrect. You do have the rights to use both 32- and 64-bit versions.

Oh well I stand corrected.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,632 Views)

I see now where you can download previous versions once you have registered the product.  We just used the discs in our original installation, but we're having issues with a replacement PC.  We thought we would try the 64-bit version to see if there is any increase in performance of our vision system.  It looks like the Vision Dev. Module (2011 SP1) is 32-bit or 64-bit compatible, which sounds like it is just 32-bit.  Maybe there is no reason to install 64-bit.  We hoped that the image processing and avi creation may be able to make better use of the RAM.  That would be a question for another thread.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,619 Views)

I can tell you that with 32-bit LabVIEW 2012, we have a project that uses Ethernet cameras to capture 10-second behavior events, triggered every few minutes.  We are monitoring 24 stations simultaneously (24 cameras, 24 "event detectors", 24 folders containing the generated AVI files from each station) and we typically take 2-3 hours of data without any problems.  We see no need to go to 64-bit LabVIEW.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,587 Views)

If I log in to My NI and go to My Products, it lists Developer Suite as a registered product.  Under Product Actions, I can select Download Past Versions, and the search results find nothing.  Even if I select Download Latest Version, it finds nothing.  I do not have a service contract.  Is the service contract required to access the software that we purchased, if in fact we did have the rights to download the 64-bit version at that time?  Back then, we did not realize that the 64-bit version had to be downloaded.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,524 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jtrout
Yes, you need ssp to get it from that link. Really should have kept ssp active. Try the ftp site - http://download.ni.com/evaluation/labview/ekit/other/downloader/
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,512 Views)

I'm fairly certain you'll have no need to install LV 64-bit.  If your 32-bit VI worked fine with LV 32-bit, there's no need for LV 64-bit.  The majority of the devs that need LV 64-bit are developing really heavy-duty applications that push the 32-bit memory limit.

You'll likely see little to no performance increase (and whatever increase you might see is likely due to upgrading the hardware, not the software), but the big disadvantage is finding support for 64-bit applications.  Many vendors don't have 64-bit versions of their dlls, for example.  (Although the reverse, though rare, is also true!  It has forced me to update to LV 64-bit before!)  And as mentioned before, add-on support is spotty at best.

That being said, though - I suppose if anyone in your company has an active SSP for 2012 or newer, they could do a "courtesy download" for you.  Since you are actually licensed to use the product, I don't see a problem with that.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,505 Views)