LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s the best way of distributing code to a new dev pc?

@crossrulz wrote:

That is NOT the normal.  That was written a long time ago.  LabVIEW and its ecosystem has evolved A LOT since then.  Also, what you linked to is a typical beginner code.  But you know what, I've seen even worse in C++.  I will concede that it is easier to get bad code to work in LabVIEW.  But as a whole, the LabVIEW ecosystem is just as evolved as any other language's ecosystem.

I wasn't trashing down on LV as a dev environment. It is slick and intuitive to work with G.

Just as it is neat to work with GIT distributing source and doing version control.

Personally I have seen code from CLA's/senior LV people that is a hodgepodge of error prone coding madness. Or object oriented programs that is basically using classes as a container for member variable and method bloat.

Br,

/Roger

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 36
(406 Views)

@SteveChandler wrote:

Kudos for the rocket scientist comment Smiley Very Happy

But if you want to see real spaghetti code take a look over here.

Yeah, that'd make him smile too I suppose? Smiley LOL

As long as we don't take authority as a god given right. Smiley Tongue

After watching that video I got hungry, which reminds me it's time for dinner.

Br,

/Roger

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 36
(400 Views)

@User002 wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

That is NOT the normal.  That was written a long time ago.  LabVIEW and its ecosystem has evolved A LOT since then.  Also, what you linked to is a typical beginner code.  But you know what, I've seen even worse in C++.  I will concede that it is easier to get bad code to work in LabVIEW.  But as a whole, the LabVIEW ecosystem is just as evolved as any other language's ecosystem.

I wasn't trashing down on LV as a dev environment. It is slick and intuitive to work with G.

Just as it is neat to work with GIT distributing source and doing version control.

Personally I have seen code from CLA's/senior LV people that is a hodgepodge of error prone coding madness. Or object oriented programs that is basically using classes as a container for member variable and method bloat.

Br,

/Roger

I got stuck updating code where the original developer hated LV so much that he wrote his own scripting language and usd LV as a shell.  😕

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 36
(394 Views)

@SteveChandler wrote:

While it is not completely different, it is different enough to not be the same. You have project A and project B using some subVI. You fix a bug in the subVI that affects project A but project B saw the bug as a feature. You can solve this by including a copy of the subVI in both projects. VIPM helps with this kind of situation.

I just realized that we are completely hijacking some poor guys thread. I just wanted to reemphasize that VIPM has nothing whatsoever to do with source control and JKI has never claimed it to be any kind of replacement. Arguing that GIT is better than VIPM is like arguing that phones are better than cars. You can call someone or drive over and talk to them. Which is better really depends. But phones and cars have very different purposes.

Car analogies usually fails. Smiley Wink

GIT together with the Application Builder installers is an excellent way of distributing source and built applications.

For example, any customer specifics such as the offending VI goes into a branch of its own. The baseline stays the same.

VIPM adds a layer of complexity in order to mitigate problems that easily can be solved with proper VCS.

Br,

/Roger

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 36
(381 Views)

I give up. You win. You obviously know something that myself, JKI, NI, the OpenG team, and the numerous CLAs that I know here and on Lava do not. On the other hand I do not know of anybody in this list that has had so many problems with the application builder. Good luck.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 36
(368 Views)

@SteveChandler wrote:

I give up. You win. You obviously know something that myself, JKI, NI, the OpenG team, and the numerous CLAs that I know here and on Lava do not. On the other hand I do not know of anybody in this list that has had so many problems with the application builder. Good luck.

You know what they say about "winning" an argument over the Internet. Smiley Wink

Ah, yes, the AB definetley needs improvement.

I'm happy you are showing interest in my error reports and critizism! Smiley LOL

Trust me, if I'd started using more 3'rd party tools, and believe me I have tried a few, it would take too much time reporting and defending the error reports from the flames spouted by the hordes of fanbois the tools seem to attract.

Br,

/Roger

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 36
(365 Views)