From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's new in LabVIEW 2016

@crossrulz wrote:

As nice as that would be, no.  I do not expect many to know about this one.

And they don't need to.  Just like some of the other cool development tools, the users of these tools don't need to know how they are made, just that they are awesome.  If you could make your own LabVIEW primitives, why would it matter how they are made, just that they are stable and users can use them.  Same for the Project Provider, or Project Templates, or heck scripting tools in general.  I can't wait to see what is possible combining VIMs, with the new emerging features like the Channel Wires.

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 65
(3,308 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

I will say that probably the biggest new feature is also available as a prototype form in LabVIEW 2015.  You just have to find the installer VIs in the LabVIEW folder.

I'm going to guess... channels!

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 65
(3,279 Views)

Chiming in here with a nice little quote:

Mockery is the means used by the complexed ignorant to feel wise
- Alejandro Jodorowski

"complexed ignorant", he he hee... Mmm yeah.

Over and out.

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 65
(3,046 Views)

Just watched some parts of the keynotes + LV2016.

Channel wires.... Smiley Indifferent

I tend to agree with JeffK that the addition of LVFPGA indeed was a nice step function. Though, I would like to add LVOOP with inheritance as another step. Of course the introduction of LV itself back in the day was a leap. Graphical programming: Mindblowing paradigm shift.. Smiley Very Happy

As for "nextgen". Basically it was a "polished" LabVIEW with an IDE. Say hello to 2010.

Will it increase productivity and decrease developer frustration? Somehow I doubt it. A slick demo is one thing, getting it to run fast and problem free on a large application is another.

Here's a tip to NI: Throttle back the focus on making everything beginner friendly, "click and goey".

The kids of today can slap together a 3D game in python and C# in less time than it takes to complete one of your typical middle management slide decks.

A small reminder:

- Alejandro Jodorowski

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 65
(2,821 Views)

My initial thoughts on the channel wire:

It's disturbing.  It's just a gross violation of the dataflow "prime directive".  You think there's enough confusion from the new LabVIEW users about why two loops wired together don't execute in parallel?  Let's add one more level of complexity to the mix...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 65
(2,780 Views)

I'd like to see a LabVIEW for VR where you can wear VR goggles and program in 3 dimensions!

Can you imagine 3D spaghetti code?  😄

[edit] I think I already said that.[/edit]

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 65
(2,779 Views)

Let me try this one more time:

- Alejandro Jodorowski

Did it gain traction this time around?

Or is the problem perhaps intractable?

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 65
(2,769 Views)

@billko wrote:

It's disturbing.  It's just a gross violation of the dataflow "prime directive".  You think there's enough confusion from the new LabVIEW users about why two loops wired together don't execute in parallel?  Let's add one more level of complexity to the mix...

I've been "testing" Channel Wires for a year, ever since I learned how to "unlock" the primative version in LabVIEW 2015 and the more-polished version in LabVIEW 2016 Beta.

I agree totally with Jeff K that this is one of the best new features to LabVIEW that I've seen in, say, the past 5 years.  It is especially important if you use parallel loops, as it greatly simplifies the logic of coordinating loop activity.

Like billko, when I first started "playing" with this concept, I also felt "Who needs this?".  However, by the time the version in the Beta became available, and I had a better understanding of this "paradigm shift", I became a Believer ...

Bob Schor

Message 38 of 65
(2,757 Views)

@User002 wrote:

Let me try this one more time:

- Alejandro Jodorowski

Did it gain traction this time around?

Or is the problem perhaps intractable?

Sometimes what appears to be "mockery" is just you "poking a little fun at your best buddy."

- Bill Ko

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 65
(2,756 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

@billko wrote:

I've been "testing" Channel Wires for a year, ever since I learned how to "unlock" the primative version in LabVIEW 2015 and the more-polished version in LabVIEW 2016 Beta.

I agree totally with Jeff K that this is one of the best new features to LabVIEW that I've seen in, say, the past 5 years.  It is especially important if you use parallel loops, as it greatly simplifies the logic of coordinating loop activity.

Like billko, when I first started "playing" with this concept, I also felt "Who needs this?".  However, by the time the version in the Beta became available, and I had a better understanding of this "paradigm shift", I became a Believer ...

Bob Schor

I won't rule out a shift for me, either.  After all, the first person to drive a car with an automatic transmission must have said the same thing.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 40 of 65
(2,746 Views)