LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the eaisest way to convert an LLB to new labview version?

I have an insturment driver LLB that is a total mess now.

It started out as a LV 5.11 LLB

I am working in LV 8.5 now and LV 8.5 will not open code written in LV 5.11 (Too old)

I have tried to mass compile it in LV 8.2 but I still am running in to VI's in the LLB that are too old for LV 8.5 to open.

That means they are still in LV 5.11.

Do I really have to open each and save every single VI in the LLB in LV 8.2 to be able to use it in LV 8.5? 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,033 Views)

Hi RTSLVU,

you have to open (and save) those vis in an older version of Labview. If you can't, you can attach the llb here...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,025 Views)
With 8.2, you should have been able to mass compile everthing that was in 5.11. Are you sure that there weren't other files besides the llb that you need to convert?
Message 3 of 10
(3,014 Views)

Here is the LLB in question.

I don't know how many times I have mass compiled it, but just today the HP34970A Close.vi is still in LV5.11 and LV8.5 will not open it.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,005 Views)

Hi RTSLVU,

here's the Close.vi in LV7.1.

Have you tried to open the Tree.vi in LV8.2? Did it gave any error messages?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 5 of 10
(2,999 Views)
I was able to mass compile it. I did notice that you did not include the hp34970u.llb. Did you point to this during the mass compile. Also, this llb is long obsolete. There is a nice, modern 8.5 project style driver available as well as a plug and play driver. Why do you even need to convert this?
Message 6 of 10
(2,996 Views)

Dennis Knutson wrote:
I was able to mass compile it. I did notice that you did not include the hp34970u.llb. Did you point to this during the mass compile. Also, this llb is long obsolete. There is a nice, modern 8.5 project style driver available as well as a plug and play driver. Why do you even need to convert this?

I have mass compiled it with out errors too, but it seems like it was not really compiled as I still keep running into vi's in it that were still in 5.11.

I have a decade (or more) of 5.11 code that I am maintaining and upgrading when I have a chance.

Production test is still coding and deploying LV 5.11 Smiley Surprised 

I have tried the newer version of the 34970A driver but it is missing some of the vi's that many of our 5.11 codebase uses so is is not a drop in replacement for upgrading code.

Here is the "u" llb too, I forgot to attach last time

Message Edited by RTSLVU on 03-10-2009 01:12 PM
========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,988 Views)

I just downloaded the latest hp34970a.zip from:

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=E3B19B3E961C659CE034080020E748... 

to make sure I was not missing something.

It is missing the HP34970A Scan Memory.vi

So using the "nice, modern 8.5 project style driver" breaks all the programs I have to support.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,977 Views)

There is a least one function missing in the 'u' llb (Utility Clean Up Initialize) but I still had no problems doing a mass compile and none were left as 5.1. Besides the Close which was already posted, what other VIs do you need?

Well, I once had a couple of hundred 34970's in service and always tried to keep the drivers up to date but I was lucky since the products had a much shorter life cycle so the old programs quickly became obsolete. There are so many other changes since 5.1 (i.e the event structure being a HUGE change), that the programs might benefit from a rewrite anyway.

Message 9 of 10
(2,968 Views)

I think I have it straightend out.

Part of my problem is LV was pulling the llb from my flashdrive when it was plugged in.

Keeping different LV versions seperated is a real pain in the you know what.

I find that if  I need to open something in 8.2 to convert it from 5.11, next time I open 8.5 it pulls vi's and llb's from the 8.2 subdirectory.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,961 Views)