From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is happening? Resource not found on development machine. An error occurred loading VI in lvlib. Load error code 3: Could not open front panel.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello!

I am new to LV libraries and I am compiling my application for the first time with several new lvlib.

The executable is apparently built without problem, but when I try to run it on the same machine, I get several (4) error messages about different items but a single library: 

"LavVIEW: Resource not found.

An error occurred loading VI 'LibraryA.lvlib: ItemA.vi'. 

LabVIEW load error code 3: Could not load front panel."

After I got the same message for items B, C and D, a last message shows up like this:

"Missing subVI LibraryA.lvilib:ItemA.vi in LibraryA.lvilib:CallerX.vi.

Missing subVI LibraryA.lvilib:ItemB.vi in LibraryA.lvilib:CallerX.vi.

Missing subVI LibraryA.lvilib:ItemC.vi in LibraryA.lvilib:CallerX.vi.

Missing subVI LibraryA.lvilib:ItemD.vi in LibraryA.lvilib:CallerX.vi."

I do not get errors for any other libraries, so I wonder what is happening.

So far, I tried:

- Mass compile, a few times

- Checking / unchecking "Remove unused members of project libraries" and Modify project library file after removing unused members in "Additional Exclusions Page 

- Add the mentioned VIs in "Always Included" in "Source Files"

When I added the vis to "Always Included", I instead got the following (4 times, end to end):

"The Vi is not executable. The full development version of LabVIEW is required to fix the errors. [...]"

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,304 Views)

Well, we really need to see the code for the entire Project, including the Libraries.  Based on the limited information you have provided, I would guess that there is something wrong with Item A contained in LibraryA.  Another place where something might be wrong is in CallerX.  Finally, the Library might not be included in the build.  Of course, these are only guesses -- would need to see (and potentially test) the Project to be sure.

Note that if your Project and all of its VIs and libraries are contained in a single folder on your PC (or can be copied to a single folder), you can Compress the folder and attach the single .ZIP file to your reply.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,289 Views)

Hello Bob_Schor,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you add up on what you mean by "the Library might not be included in the build"?

Do I need to explicitely point it to the builder? It is not dynamically loaded, so I assumed the application would simply include the vi it needs.

And would there be any other information I could provide to help before trying to redact and pack this thousand-vi project?

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,274 Views)

Aha, the light is beginning to dawn!  Just where are these libraries?  Are they code that you developed "somewhere else" and built into a Library?  Where is this Library located?  How are you accessing it?

Until fairly recently, I hadn't used Libraries, but I recently had a situation where I had code that had "evolved" through 4 different versions, and wanted to write a single analysis routine that would be able to handle all of the versions.  I split out the version-specific code into four LabVIEW Libraries, all within the Project.  My main routine had code that determined which Version I needed, then used a Case statement to call the "Process" routine from the version-appropriate Library.

In this case, all four Libraries are in the Project, and when an executable is built, all four Libraries are contained therein.

The other way to do this, of course, is for the Libraries to be "discovered" at Run Time.  Certainly all of the Libraries inside LabVIEW (i.e. in vi.lib) are available.

When you open your Project, do you see your Library listed anywhere?  If it's not in the Project itself, open Dependencies, and you should see it.  Does it "look OK" down there, without any "flags"?

How are you invoking the Library routines?  I presume that somewhere inside one of your Main VIs you have a sub-VI that comes from the Library of choice ...

I'm not (yet) at 1000 VIs (at least not on this project, though I'm close).  Take a look at your dependencies and tell us a bit more about where the Library lives and how you invoke it.  Maybe a light bulb will illuminate ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,263 Views)

Hi.

Yes, I see "LibraryA.lvlib" and other libraries in my project, and they are all "physically" in the same folder as the VIs they contain.

In Dependencies, I see only vi.lib and instr.lib folders, shell32.dll, kernel32.dll and such. By "flagged", you mean conflicts or missing parts? Then, no, no flag shows.

And you presumed well: inside one of the Main VIs I have a sub-VI that comes from the Library of choice.

Any lighter? 🙂

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,244 Views)

@DCanQAlias wrote:

Yes, I see "LibraryA.lvlib" and other libraries in my project, and they are all "physically" in the same folder as the VIs they contain.

In Dependencies, I see only vi.lib and instr.lib folders, shell32.dll, kernel32.dll and such. By "flagged", you mean conflicts or missing parts? Then, no, no flag shows.

And you presumed well: inside one of the Main VIs I have a sub-VI that comes from the Library of choice.

That sounds like just what I did, and my Executables run just fine, switching in the code from the appropriate library when required.

Something is clearly wrong, but without looking at the Project and seeing how your Project differs from mine, I don't have a clue.  if no-one else has any good ideas, you might consider doing the following:

1. Make a copy of your Project, call it Lib Bug Demo or something like that.
  2. Try to trim the Main Routine to simply call one function in LibA and one function in LibB.
  3. Leave LibA and LibB in the Project, get rid of (almost) everything else.  You should now have a much more compact code base.  If LibA and LibB are also huge, consider trimming them to the minimal functionality to not "break" when called from Main.
  4. Build an Executable.  See if you get the same error.
  5. If you do, you've generated a "small test case" that can be examined.  Compress the folder that contains this Lib Bug Demo project, reply to this Post, and attach the resulting .ZIP file.

Who knows, maybe you found a bug an undocumented feature ...

Bob Schor

Message 6 of 8
(4,213 Views)

Hello again,

I am working on building a small case as you suggested, and I found something rather interesting: All missing VIs contain a Scilab Script, and the others in the library do not!

Building a VI with a single formerly missing vi leads to the compile bug, but not after I remove the script node...

So I am now trying to find how to build an executable with a Scilab script. I might get results tomorrow.

I keep yo posted.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,198 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DCanQAlias

Got it!

My problem was not a library compiling bug at all, but a Scilab Script one.

The solution can be found here: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/D21F6AC8CFC39E318625756600553B1E

Thanks for your help, it made me pin it down!

Have a nice day!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,180 Views)