From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is different between the different versions of LabVIEW?

@billko wrote:

@NIquist wrote:

@billko wrote:

@NIquist wrote:

You mentioned that you're an industry pro.  Are you using LabVIEW at work?  If so you are probably entitled to install a copy on your home PC with the licence you already have.  It depends on what you bought and how you bought it but I believe that is a pretty standard agreement.  Talk to your NI Rep if you want to find out more.

That gets dicey if the company you work for bought the license.  What happens if you stop working for said company?

Oh Yes, you lose your rights to continue using LabVIEW!  This is designed so that licensed users can take their professional work home if they need to, not to offer a free home license. There's nothing to stop you from playing around with your own projects, but the license issue will always be there. It's why I'm using Python for all my home projects instead of LabVIEW which I could probably be more efficient with.  Also I love me some Raspberry Pi and those are Linux (usually) and very well supported by Python.

Not to mention that said company will very likely own anything you develop on that company license if they can prove it was developed on their dime.

Could be true too.  I guess that would depend on your employment contract with your company though.  Still, if the OP wants to use LabVIEW at home and has the company option it is a FREE option.  It's great if all he wants to do is advance his LabVIEW skills. I should really have it a home for that reason.  Smiley Embarassed  

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 26
(1,238 Views)

Or he can cough up $50 for the home bundle and not worry about that stuff.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 26
(1,236 Views)

I've been hearing about that but never saw NI actually sell it.  Turns out it's sold by Digilent:  https://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,719,1456&Prod=LABVIEW-HE

Pretty generous to offer the Full Dev version ($3000) for 49 bucks.  One big disadvantage is that it's stricly personal so you can never sell or profit from anything you do with it unless you upgrade your license.  

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 26
(1,225 Views)

Pretty generous to offer the Full Dev version ($3000) for 49 bucks.  One big disadvantage is that it's stricly personal so you can never sell or profit from anything you do with it unless you upgrade your license.  

Exactly my origanal point.  How can the Home version for $50 be as full featured or equal to the $3000 Full commercial version.

If something sounds too good to be true, is usually is.

I better buy the home version before they change their minds.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 26
(1,208 Views)
Basically the same as what has been offered to students for years. I would have been shocked if it offered any less.
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 26
(1,204 Views)

@Braincramp wrote:
Exactly my origanal point.  How can the Home version for $50 be as full featured or equal to the $3000 Full commercial version.

If something sounds too good to be true, is usually is.

I better buy the home version before they change their minds.

The home version has a watermark and is thus easily identifiable as such, preventing commercial use. The user base is completely orthogonal to existing commercial customers and will only serve to widen the audience without cutting into the existing sales of the commercial version. Compared to the big commercial customers, NI can now tap into the long tail of single, independent hobby users. If this market segment turns out to be 1000x larger, the revenue from LabVIEW would grow by orders of magnitude, even at $50. With online distribution and community support, the $50 is basically 100% profit.

Look at Micorsoft Visual Studio Express or Visual Studio Community, 100% free!

The maker movement has many very smart and creative people and cutting them off from using LabVIEW is not in the best interest of NI.

The pricing of something is typically not related to the cost of developing it. Look at things like DAQmx, which is completely free to everyone (well, you have to buy NI hardware to use it, but still..).

Message 26 of 26
(1,191 Views)