cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a "dynamic dependency" ?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I've been reading white papers about properly managing a Labview code base and I've seen several references to 'dynamic dependencies'. Can someone explain what a dynamic dependency is and provide a simple example? I couldn't find a good explanation on the web or this forum.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,044 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Little_Owl

A search for "LabVIEW Dynamic Dependency" takes you to one of LabVIEW Project's Help documents.  There it explains that a "Dependency" refers to a VI that needs to be in memory when a Caller calls it.  If it is called directly by your LabVIEW code (for example, by being placed on a Block Diagram), that is a static dependency because it doesn't change.  If, however, you don't declare which VI you want to run until Run Time, and specify it by, say, typing its name into an indicator, that is a dynamic dependency, "dynamic" because it is changable/alterable at run time, and a dependency because it still needs to be in memory in order to run (it's up to you and LabVIEW to make this happen).

Check out the Help document for more explanation.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,024 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

A search for "LabVIEW Dynamic Dependency" takes you to one of LabVIEW Project's Help documents.  There it explains that a "Dependency" refers to a VI that needs to be in memory when a Caller calls it.  If it is called directly by your LabVIEW code (for example, by being placed on a Block Diagram), that is a static dependency because it doesn't change.  If, however, you don't declare which VI you want to run until Run Time, and specify it by, say, typing its name into an indicator, that is a dynamic dependency, "dynamic" because it is changable/alterable at run time, and a dependency because it still needs to be in memory in order to run (it's up to you and LabVIEW to make this happen).

Check out the Help document for more explanation.

Bob Schor

Thanks for the help! Your comparison between a static and dynamic dependency was clearer than the Labview help document.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,016 Views)