LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What folders and permissions is required to modify configurations in Automation Explorer?

Does anyone know which folders and what permission levels must a user have access rights to in order to acquire data, modify data socket object, modify and use the Automation Explorer in Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

I use the default install locations for the all the software “LabVIEW runtime and other drivers”.

My goal is to not end up giving administration rights to all the users in order to make the application work or modify the configurations.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Randall
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,579 Views)
______________________________________________________________________________________

Win 2000:

To access DAQ functions with a Windows 2000 user account you need to set the permissions for the National Instruments folder on your user account to "Full-Control". You can do this just for the National Instruments folder if you do not want to add control to the whole user account.

Follow the steps below to accomplish this:
1. Log onto the computer as the administrator and open the registry editor (regedt32.exe) by going to Start->Run-> and typing regedt32.
2. Explicitly grant the guest account full control under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\National Instruments. Choose the Security>>Permissions menu item. If "Everyone" is present, double-click it and modify the permissions to "Full Control". If "Everyone" is not present, click "Add", choose "Everyone", and give them "Full Control".
3. Confirm the fix worked by logging in as a user and running the VI that previously did not work.

Further:
Make sure you are logged in as the Administrator. Go to C:\Program Files\National Instruments\MAX. -> Properties of folder -> The easiest way is to set the permisssion to full control
__________________________________________________________________________________________

XP with NTFS FS:
-> Browse to the C:\Program Files\National Instruments\MAX directory -> Right-click the MAX folder and select Properties -> Click the Security tab, and click the Add button -> Type in the user name and click OK -> Give the user Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, and Read permission -> Click Apply and then OK
If you have several different users and want all users to use the DAQ Assistant, repeat the above steps but type everyone for the user name.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

XP with FAT32 FS:
-> Log onto the computer as an administrator
-> Open the registry editor by going to Start->Run and typing regedt32 and clicking OK
-> Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\National Instruments\Measurement & Automation Explorer
-> There may be sub-headings for different versions under the MAX key, make sure you're working with the top level that actually says Measurement & Automation Explorer
-> Right-click on the key and choose Permissions... (See attached image 1)
-> Click on the user you want to give access to under Group or user names:
-> Check Full Control and then click Apply (See attached image 2)
-> Repeat steps 6 and 7 for each user you want to give access to

Hope it helps
Message 2 of 3
(2,573 Views)
Thanks for this well thought out reply. It has helped with at least one method, which is the XP with NTFS.

However at first I had some problems with it. My second try was to add the step of setting the National Instruments folder permissions to full. The third try I set the file “Windows\niconfig.daq” permission to modify.

After this the account seems to work ok and any modification made to the traditional drivers channel names worked. I have not tried the MX drivers as accessing the MX driver without a fully licensed version of LabVIEW causes the license alerts to go off. Most of my applications are developed for use with the runtime and do not have the development version on the test machines.

Thanks again for the help

Randall
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,559 Views)