LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What factors can cause a Proj file to open Dirty (LV 2009) ?

Solved!
Go to solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben

Update from support follows.

Hi Ben,

I wanted to give you an update on the dirty dot issue that we were working with before. I got back some information from R&D on this. The problem is that one of the VIs in the projects where this happens is referencing a system VI. The reason that this same issue came up with a project with Real-Time VIs is that those Real-Time VIs were calling a particular system VI as well.

In this case, the system VI used is: help\_launchhelp.vi called from: TDMS - File Viewer.vi called from: Test_MVAS_Test_Data_Functions.vi which is in a class.

One solution: add _launchhelp.vi to your project

I added that VI to the project and it corrected the issue with the proj opening dirty.

This may be a fix for some of the above described issues. Please give it a try and lets see which get fixed and which do not.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 31 of 45
(1,928 Views)

Thanks Ben for this feedback but for me, it sounds missing information:

- How do you identify concerned VIs? (for example me I don't use TDMS but certainly an other VI is a problem)

- Which mean do you use to integrate the 'system' VI in your project? In a classic folder, in the root, ...?

- Why is there no confilct (and so no asterisk)?

Message Edité par J.DECHET le 02-22-2010 03:18 PM
Message 32 of 45
(1,912 Views)

I have submitted follow-up Q's.

What I know is shown above.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 45
(1,908 Views)
Ok :), I just returned from vacation and I have trouble making synthesis of everything has been posted.
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 45
(1,903 Views)

Hello Everyone,

To give a short summary, this specific bug occurs when you have a class that calls a System VI and you use that class in a project.  I created a utility that will check to see if your project is loading a system VI.  I only had a few test projects to run this VI so I cannot guarantee that it will solve all issue that are derivatives of CAR 200678; however, it worked for all of the test projects I had.  Two VIs of note that have been the source of the problem are TDMS File Viewer.vi and the RT Tick Count.vi. If these VIs are in classes within projects we could see this behavior.

The utility is in KnownledgeBase 56PEKMWI: Why does my Project that Contains Classes Always Open with a Dirty Dot?

Regards,

Jon S.
National Instruments
LabVIEW NXG Product Owner
Message 35 of 45
(1,855 Views)

Thanks Jon!

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 45
(1,827 Views)

Thanks Jon! but your code is only for modern developers and I use LV8.5.1 Smiley Sad

Now, I have to wait for my customer are ready to update their distribution to LV2009...

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 45
(1,786 Views)

Hello J.DECHET,

I want to reiterate that the program I created will try to diagnose ONE specific bug (200678) that manifested in LabVIEW 2009.  This bug did not exist in LabVIEW 8.5.1.  That is not to say that you could be experiencing a perpetual dirty dot on a project; I am just saying that this particular bug would not occur in LabVIEW 8.5.1.  If you are curious you can track certain bugs in the LabVIEW Known Issues List.  You will see bug 200678 listed; however, I haven't updated it to include a link to the workaround and change the description to not only include RT Timing VIs.

If this is causing a major problem for you I suggest contacting support and having one our Applications Engineers help you out.

Regards,

Jon S.
National Instruments
LabVIEW NXG Product Owner
Message 38 of 45
(1,782 Views)

Ok for the specific bug and no : it's not an serious problem for me.

I am only curious to know why when I open one of my projects without any action, I have this permanent warning concerning 'An attribute of the project was changed' as evocated.

It would be more serious if VIs were concerned (for example, dynamic calls with asteriks...) but they are not.

I must say that I use often the same basic VIs in low layers of code and the problem is probably in one of them.

To follow... when time.

Thank you again

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 45
(1,772 Views)

Did you modify any subVI in your project from outside the project that may have added or subtracted a dependency?

I'm sure that is one of the causes in most of my cases.  The project updated its dependency list because there is a new dependency (or a dependency disappeared) since the last time the project was opened or saved.

I don't know whether I would call it a bug.  But I would call it an annoying behavior.  At the minimum, LabVIEW should be smart enough to tell you what the attribute was that got changed.

Such as "An attribute of the project was changed.  SubVI_B.vi was added to dependencies."

Message 40 of 45
(1,760 Views)