From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the status message "not present" mean in MAX?

Hello,

I have two instruments, a Burleigh WA-1000 wavemeter and a Tektronicx TDS 2012 B Oscilloscope, connected to a GPIB - USB converter which then goes into my computer. The MAX panel "sees" both of these instruments but designates their status as "not present" and I always get the timeout error when trying to communicate with them.

If anyone either knows what's wrong or can give me some things to troubleshoot it would be a real help.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,597 Views)

I would start by doing the Scan for Instruments again.  If they are still there, looks to see what they returned for their identification.  There should be something there, at least for the Tektronix scope.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,594 Views)

I scanned for instruments again, and their "not present" status is unchanged. However, both devices have tabs that I can click on.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,586 Views)
Can you attach some screenshots?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,575 Views)

Sure thing. Sorry I had forgotten to do that.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,567 Views)
So the wavemeter does not respond to the identification query. If you disconnect that and rescan, does the status of the scope change?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,544 Views)

No, nothing changed after disconnecting/reconnecting. We even switched out all of the comunication cables and there was still no change.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,511 Views)

Yeah that would do it.  That wavemeter is a bit of a tricky beast.  If you send it some commands it does understand it will lock the bus and nobody will be able to talk until it is power cycled.  *IDN? is one of those not implemented commands.  Scan for instruments sends *IDN? to each available address.

Since the instrument does not comply with the IEEE 488 standard I would not hang it on the same bus as other (more polite) intsruments to prevent interactions like this-  use the serial port or hang a second GPIB bus dedicated to serving only that non compliant device knowing you cannot use the full set of IEEE 488 commands on that bus.

WORSE! that darned wavemeter actually powers up defaulted to "Broadcast mode" so its jabbering away on the selected communications port! Smiley Surprised(WWTT?)  You'll need to send "@Q\r\n" before it shuts up so you can talk to other devices on the bus.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,496 Views)