cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What ZIP algorithm does LabView use?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

My basic question is: What ZIP algorithm does the ZIP VI use when compressing files?

The case is that I have access to a zip file created from LabView, but I do not have access to LabView itself to decompress the file so I have to use a third party program to decompress the file.

Any info and pointers are appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mads

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,778 Views)

Could you please post your ZIP file?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,769 Views)

Mads,

did you already try zip-tools? If so, which ones and what was the error you were seeing?

My experience shows, that e.g. WinRAR is working on these.

One side note:

If you don't have LV installed on the target machine where you want to unzip the package.... doesn't make much sense as you wont be able to open/execute these files.

It's somehow like copying pdf files to a target machine which does not have any pdf-reader installed.....

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,747 Views)

@ManLD, I have found out from the header that the ZIP algorithm used is PKZIP. Unfortunately the data isn't pulled from the database where the zipfile is stored in binary format. Thats why I'm having trouble decompressing the file.

@Norbert_B, Sorry for being unclear about what I'm doing. The zipfile is generated within LabView and stored in a database. The contents of the zipfile is non-related to LabView itself, I just wan't to pull the zipfile from the database and decompress it with the appropriate algorithm without involving LabView.

Thank you both for your time.

Kind regards,

Mads

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,735 Views)
Solution
Accepted by MadsNielsen

Mads,

so you are working with the ZIP functions of the filo IO palette, right?

The resulting zip is then moved into a database.

First question:

Can you extract the ZIP before it is copied into the database? If so, can you open it using 7Zip, WinZip or WinRAR? <I tested WinRAR and it works well.>

Second question:

If the ZIP works before moving into the database, but fails after it was pulled from the database: What datatype are you using for the ZIP file in your database? Are you sure that the binary file construct of the ZIP is not modified by the database?

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,731 Views)

Norbert,

I don't use LabView, a colleague here at work does and he is on vacation, I just have access to the databse where the zipfile is stored. My hope was that I could be able to pull the zipfile from the database and decompress it without involving LabView.

Your ideas are good and I will look into them when my colleague get back from vacation.

Thank you for your time.

Mads

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,727 Views)
No nees to wait for your colleague, just extract the file and try 7zip. 🙂
G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,714 Views)

From a zip file made with LabVIEW, I have had no problems unzipping it using 7-zip and the Windows zip functions.  Haven't tried WinZip yet, but I don't see it being an issue.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,687 Views)