LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird connection "background color of subdiagram label" & "use transparent name labels"

I stumbled upon the following side effect in LabVIEW 2013:

1) Turn off the option "use transparent name labels" in blockdiagram options.

2) now create a while loop

3) show the subdiagram label of the while loop

Because of the changes already discussed here you end up with a WHITE text label on WHITE background. Smiley Frustrated

Maybe I'm "old school" because up to now I liked turning off the "transparent name label" (resulting in labels with a black frame), but a resulting white text on white background on the while loop makes this option now virtually meaningless (I know about the workarounds mentioned in the link above).

Anyway my question:

Why does this connection between the color of the subdiagram label and the option "use transparent name label" exist at all?

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,321 Views)

Hello Jens,

I did step 1-3 in LabVIEW 2014 and it's as you say, white label on white background.

But I'm not sure what exactly is your question.
Do you mean you tried the changes discussed here and it doesn't help?

As I see it, there is no connection between the color of the subdiagram label and the option "use transparent name label".
The font color of subdiagram labels of while-loops is white, and it doesn't depend on the option "use transparent name label". The only thing that changes is the background, and white label on white background is invisible.

Regards, Julia

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(4,264 Views)

Hello Jens,

There is another thing i found out about your issue:
If you copy your label and paste it for example into editor, Microsoft word or the search bar in LabVIEW, copy it again and paste it into the subdiagram label, the font color is black instead of white.
This works in LabVIEW 2014 and I'm not sure if it also works in 2013.

It doesn't answer your question, but it is an opportunity to get around white labels on white background. It may be a lot of work and not ideal for big projects, but if you only have a few while-loops, it could be suitable.

Regards, Julia

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,246 Views)

@JuliaO wrote:

Hello Jens,

I did step 1-3 in LabVIEW 2014 and it's as you say, white label on white background.

But I'm not sure what exactly is your question.

This is more of a bug report than a question. Unless someone knows about "undocumented" settings for the color of the subdiagram labels.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,218 Views)

jg69 wrote:

Anyway my question:

Why does this connection between the color of the subdiagram label and the option "use transparent name label" exist at all?

Which connection do you mean?
In my opinion, the font is white and it stays white, even if the background is white.
So i think the problem would rather be a missing connection than an existing connection.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,198 Views)

Standard setting for the option "use transparent name labels" has been "activated" for quite some time. That leads to name labels in the block diagram with a black text on a transparent background & foreground. Deactivating this option leads to name labels with black text with a frame of black background and white foreground (see for yourself with the color tool).

Hence it looks like the fore- and background color of name labels are also used for subdiagram labels as in the first case the colors are "transparent" and in the second case black & white.

Regards, Jens 

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,185 Views)

I tried all the settings you said in your last post, and I made a screenshot as a "summary" (I attached it to this post).

The changes at "label" when you disable the transparent name labels are in my opinion understandable. But the fact that for "subdiagram label" the background color becomes white and the font color stays white is not understandable to me.
I think it is a bug, and i will clarify how to proceed further.

Regards, Julia

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,158 Views)

Hello Jens,

I have sent a Corrective Action Request about the side effect you noticed to get further Information about it.
I will let you know if I have new information.

Regards, Julia

Message 8 of 13
(4,139 Views)

@JuliaO wrote:

I tried all the settings you said in your last post, and I made a screenshot as a "summary" (I attached it to this post).

The changes at "label" when you disable the transparent name labels are in my opinion understandable. But the fact that for "subdiagram label" the background color becomes white and the font color stays white is not understandable to me.
I think it is a bug, and i will clarify how to proceed further.

Regards, Julia

Hi Julia,

that's is exactly what I meant. There shouldn't be any connection between the colors used for the subdiagram labels and the settings for name labels, as the subdiagram labels only make sense with the default settings. Thanks for creating a CAR. Please have a look, that this problem exists in LabVIEW 2012, 2013 and 2014. It is not as annoying in 2012 as the default color for the text in while loop subdiagram label is still black.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,125 Views)

Hello Jens,

I have some new information about the CAR: The person that the CAR is assigned to was able to reproduce the problem.
This is probably not a surprise for you, but I wanted do keep you up-to-date.

Regards, Julia

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,100 Views)