LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebBrowser ActiveX Error

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a custom LabVIEW 2013 TestStand Operator Interface that has a built in WebBrowser using the ActiveX WebBrowser Control. The browser is linked to an internal server that serves up Dokuwiki web pages.

I upgraded the Dokuwiki software to lastest, and now the LabVIEW WebBrowser displays this error whenever a page is displayed.

WebBrowserError.jpg

It's not surprising it's doing this, the changelog for the update states "old Internet Explorers are no longer supported, workarounds have been removed". I'm assuming this WebBrowser object is outdated. The IE on the PC is 11 and does not display this error.

Is this the Control and is there an upgrade to it in a later LabVIEW? "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\2013\Browser Plugins\Internet Explorer\LV2013ActiveXControll.dll" dated 2014-07-23.

If not and there is no workaround on the LV side, I probably can modify the php script on the server but would rather not.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(7,748 Views)

What function is calling the web browser?  Can you test this by downloading the newest version of LabVIEW 2015 and trying that out?

What is the purpose for the upgrade if this was working before?

-Bear

Regards,

Ben Johnson
ʕง•ᴥ•ʔง
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(7,723 Views)

Not sure what you mean by "What function is calling the web browser?". The WebBrowser is integrated into the OI and works fine. Whenever a link to the local Dokuwiki is select, the wiki javascript serves up the 'addEventListener' command which causes the error.

Tried it with LabVIEW 2015 Service Pack 1 and I get the same error.

The Wiki has several more functions than just serving up pages to the OI. Just keeping it up to date for bug fixes, features and security concerns.

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(7,714 Views)

The reason I was asking is because it is unclear how your program interacts with the web browser and how you are using it in your program.

I do not think we will be able to fix this, but I agree with you that finding a work around is the best way.  I don't know how IE changed in the updates though.

-Bear

Regards,

Ben Johnson
ʕง•ᴥ•ʔง
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(7,689 Views)

My program does not really interact with the web browser. The browser is simply an object on the front panel. When it links to the local server, it throws errors.

NI is now looking into the problem, thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(7,681 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cabman

The Web Browser control by default uses IE7 (regardless of the version installed on your PC). You can make a registry change to use a more recent version (IE10/11 etc.) which is specific to a given executable (e.g. LabVIEW.exe or MyApp.exe). There's a guide here: https://weblog.west-wind.com/posts/2011/May/21/Web-Browser-Control-Specifying-the-IE-Version

You might also be able to use another browser control instead of the ActiveX one which is based on IE. I believe you may be able to use controls for other renderers (e.g. chrome / webkit / gecko etc.).

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 6 of 10
(7,642 Views)

Thanks!! This is the information I was looking for.

It's working for me on my Windows 7 OS with IE11 (however, the hex value on the linked page for this key (0x2EDF) should be 0x2AF9).

Not having the same luck on another computer with XP / IE8 (IE8 has no problem with my server pages). The OI is based on LabVIEW 7.1/TS 4.2. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(7,621 Views)

From other sites => http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4612255/will-the-ie9-webbrowser-control-support-all-of-ie9s-featu...

It appears this will not work for IE8 and XP can't be upgraded any higher than that.

How would I go about creating another object based on another Web browser?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(7,612 Views)

You need to find another web browser control (either .NET or ActiveX) that you can embed onto your front panel - I believe the one for Chrome is called mono, but I had some issues getting that to work when I tried it before. There are others - I seem to remember there being a generic Webkit/Gecko one as well but I can't remember what it's called.

Of course...I could always suggest that since XP isn't supported/updated any more - maybe it's time for an upgrade Smiley LOL

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(7,595 Views)

"Of course...I could always suggest that since XP isn't supported/updated any more - maybe it's time for an upgrade Smiley LOL"

Now you sound like our IT departement!  I'd love to, but too many systems to get at. Maybe someday....

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(7,586 Views)