LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Service HTTP Host Image

Hello Fellow LabVIEW Enthusiasts!

I am trying to host images on a Web Service through LabVIEW. My goal is to be able to change the images programmatically. I attached the project (zipped). When I try to "Publish" the service, it says that the "new picture" in HTTP_Picture is unsupported data type. I couldn't find any examples on this topic.

Also, I tried the NI Web Publishing Tool... this tool works great on Windows machines, however, I cannot load the images on my Android device, the plugin is unsupported. This is the reason I moved to the HTTP Web Services route. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Nick

CLD Certified 2014
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,536 Views)

Hello Nick,

It looks like you folled the procedure outlined under heading 15 of this document: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/7747/en/#toc15

Before I get to heavily involved in this I am curious if the images will all be available at build time or if you want to make new images available on the web that were not available at build time.  I think I would take different aproaches in the two scenerios.  

- John

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(4,470 Views)

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. I did follow many of the tutorials including the steps in the link that you referenced.

All of the pictures are known at build time. I am wondering if it is possible to have the HTML file of the web publishing tool accept LabVIEW commands to change pictures. I am still looking into other options, like you said there are many approaches possible to take. If I could find one that I know would work for my application, I would be able to focus and learn how to achomplish the task.

CLD Certified 2014
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,462 Views)

Nick,

I think you will have to do some sort of scripting.  Since you know all the images a build time I suggest you add them all as static images.  You can then use ESP or JAVA to change which static images (web pages) are visible.  

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/7738/en/

are your images going to change when the user clicks on something? or will they change when some event happens on the host?  

- John

Message 4 of 13
(4,433 Views)

I want LabVIEW to change which image is displayed on the webpage.

CLD Certified 2014
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,429 Views)

So you want something server side to change the image visible.  correct me if that is wrong.

What I imagine at this point is a a bunch of static pages that are all images.  Your startup VI can determine which image is available at any time.  Client side I think you will write some script that asks the page to update every minute or so.  

As I understand it now there will be no user interactionw with the page.  The user will be purely a consumer.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,422 Views)

Correct. I need a Java script (from an Android App) to change the visible image, however, it would be nicer if it were dynamic. I could then overlay text on the images.

CLD Certified 2014
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,418 Views)

I beleive some HTTP request needs to be made of the server in order to update the image. 

Are the images always shown in the same sequence?  

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,391 Views)

Yes, the pictures should be updated in a certain order. I am thinking that I need to send HTTP requests from the server to the client, the client will then refresh the page. Does this make sense or is there a better option?

CLD Certified 2014
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,370 Views)

Could you try using a gif?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,348 Views)