LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Server Browser Compatibility

I have an application where the requirement for web-access is that it "operate on the following browser platforms:

IE6 and above

Safari
Firefox
Chrome

not use ActiveX controls except where the ActiveX control is required to enable functionality of another graphical device (such as Flash) specifically within IE6

allow users to download data from the website in .CSV format"

Can LabVIEW web panel meet the requirements?

1 - Compatibility with the 4 browsers (I have only tested IE and FireFox, both successfully)

2 - Can you save a CSV data file from web panels using the appropriate VIs to save a file?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,496 Views)
Does anyone use LabVIEW web panels with these other browsers in Windows?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,480 Views)

On windows, remote panels is officially supported in IE6 and above and Netscape derivatives such as Firefox. That means those are the browsers that we test on. I have had coworkers try it in Chrome and tell me that it works but it's not official.

I have no idea about Safari on windows.

"not use ActiveX controls except where the ActiveX control is required to enable functionality of another graphical device (such as Flash) specifically within IE6"

All browser plugin ActiveX controls could be described to "enable functionality of another graphical device". Does this requirement just mean no ActiveX except Flash? Or no system ActiveX controls like Excel?

Remote panels work by means of a plugin to the browser. For all browsers except IE this is a Netscape API plugin. For IE it is an activex control because this is how IE does its plugins. This may or may not meet your requirement.

When using remote panels, all execution happens on the server. This means that you would not be able to use remote panels to download the csv file. You could however, have the VI you are controlling with remote panels save the csv file and the user could download it with a simple HTML link.

Let me know how it goes,

Nathan

Message 3 of 5
(5,458 Views)

Hi guys,

I have a remote panels application which is working in IE and Firefox but not working in Chrome.

Chrome is saying "No plugin available to display the content". 

I have the LV Run-Time Engine installed on the computer.

Can someone help me, please ?

Thanks,

Tom 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,216 Views)

Hi Tom,

As Nathan said, Chrome is not officially supported for use with remote front panels. However, many people have had success using it. My first question is the order in which you installed the LabVIEW Run-time engine and Chrome. If Chrome was installed after the LabVIEW Run-time engine, a good first step would be to reinstall the LabVIEW Run-Time engine. This is because the NI installer will install support for the software configuration of your machine at the time of the installation. Any changes made after the installation may not be supported.

Asa Kirby
CompactRIO Product Marketing Manager
(5,171 Views)