LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waveform graph's plot legend in multiple rows or columns?

Hi,

I have a waveform graph on my front panel which can show samples acquired from about 100 different channels. I have difficulties to display the plot legend as it seems I can expand it only vertically OR horizontally at the same time (so like a 1D array). Is there a way to expand it to both direction?

Out of the 100 channels users normally want to see about 8-10 key plots at the same time (depending on the test type), but from time to time, they may want to check signals not "officially" related to the given test, so I have to have use plot visibility checkbox option as well. (which means, I really have to have all the 100 channels sampled)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,354 Views)

You cannot change the default waveform graph to display the plot legend as a 2-D array.  What you could do though is create your own boolean array and use the properties "Active Plot" and "Plot.Visible?" to change plot visibility programmatically.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,284 Views)

Yes... but thats way too much of a hassle. I see this as an unnecessary restricition.

thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,274 Views)

If you can make a good case for your desired approach, post it on the Idea Exchange.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,271 Views)

Well first of all let me rephrase: its not a restricition its a missing feature.

Second: idea exchange is great for popular ideas. Mine is sort of a corner-case, I wont get upvotes comparable to more common problems, so I dont think it worth the hassle.

@johnsold wrote:

If you can make a good case for your desired approach, post it on the Idea Exchange.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,268 Views)

attached is a way to show a subset of plots and display their names/colors as a 2D array. 

you'll still need to:

1] have unique plot names and colors

2] adjust the position of the 2D array based on number of rows

3] figure out a way to show point / line styles if that's important

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,264 Views)

@Jacobson-ni wrote:

You cannot change the default waveform graph to display the plot legend as a 2-D array.  What you could do though is create your own boolean array and use the properties "Active Plot" and "Plot.Visible?" to change plot visibility programmatically.

I would offer two possibilities:

One use a tree controll to select channels or groups of channels to display vice the boolean array:

Two Use TDMS and modify the built in TDMS Viewer to handle the display interface for you

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,256 Views)

I still think that this is something that you should post to the idea exchange.  Remember that just because a lot of people might not kudo your idea does not mean a developer will not see the suggestion.

I cannot speak to the reasons this is not a feature in LabVIEW but I think applications that would require the plot legend to be expanded vertically and horizontally might want to look towards most robust solutions such as the ones proposed by Jeff. 

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,218 Views)