LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to control Lab equipment but need direction

I am looking to use serial communication with a few lab instruments on my Reactor system.

IKA Eurostar 100C digital overhead stirrer. This unit uses NAMUR commands I am looking to just have a simple slider control speed along with an on off button. I would like to display RPM and Torque information on a Graph over time..

HUBER UNISTAT405 This is a temp control unit I would like to Read and control the jacket temperature of my reactor on the same graph. This also uses NAMUR commands..

If I can get something up and running I would add PH functionality, Dosing pump system, and a simple readout for vacuum.

Any assistance would be appreciated thank you!!

I am new to the programming world and NI, so this looks like a foreign language to me..

Thanks everyone!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,629 Views)

Examine the bottom paragraph of my signature closely (not the facetious quotes). Taking someone's advice (however well-intentioned) without any understanding of the reasons behind it is a sure path to ruin.

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,612 Views)

Hi chevytwonova

As Cameron said, the first thing you need to do is learn about LabVIEW.

National Instruments also offer the possibility of online trainings available at http://www.ni.com/training/.

You should start with the course LabVIEW Core 1 which is a basic introduction to LabVIEW.

For your application I recommend the course LabVIEW Instrument Control.

Regards

Chris S.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,571 Views)

If you are going to use more than two serial instruments you should buy a multi serial port card.

If only two then you might get by well enough with some serial/usb adapters.

I have some experience with IKA EUROSTAR mixer commands (NAMUR)

You are probably in for some difficulty figuring out how to control this machine with those commands.

It is possible, but it is not trivial. It  may not work exactly the way you think it will.

RS-232 control is fraught with danger for many reasons (my experience) .

You have to make sure you have a backup scenario in case the worst happens like for example user setting the mix speed to maximum

when the blade is touching an unintended object. It must be capable to shut itself down or fall into a safe region of operation without any dependence on the serial connection. It can be very difficult to develop a safe yet robust control scenario using Rs-232.

Message 4 of 8
(3,562 Views)

AKA,

I am just looking to do a simple reliable connection with about 4 to 5 lab devices so I can automate my system..  If there is a simpler solution then I would be very happy doing that... Most instruments have RS-232 or USB... 

I am really looking to do something plug in play this way the lab techs can use the system with ease..

can you send me an example of the IKA Eurostar that you configured? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,551 Views)

@chevytwonova wrote:

AKA,

I am just looking to do a simple reliable connection with about 4 to 5 lab devices so I can automate my system..  If there is a simpler solution then I would be very happy doing that... Most instruments have RS-232 or USB... 

I am really looking to do something plug in play this way the lab techs can use the system with ease..

can you send me an example of the IKA Eurostar that you configured? 

If they have RS232 then its best. What next you can do is to read the serial comm for that specific devices. You see different devices have different protocol for serial comm. Once you go through it then your life done. Its a simple job for you(Once you have your hand over LV you will realize). If some devices have USB then you may need USB to serial converter which will convert the USB data to serial becasue you are going to use VISA(LV) for all the communication and USB will be used as virtual COM port.

Let me know if you have any question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,531 Views)

Several instruments creates a virtual serial port if you connect them with USB, others supply their own drivers you can use (some even supply LV code).

Communicating with several USB/Serial devices is simple, as long as they have 1 connection each. With USB this is seldom a problem as computers nowadays have several USB ports, though the Serial connections often require some extra equipment. Usually USB to serial converter or a serial connection card.

As a side note, if using an "octopus" with 4 serial ports on 1 USB they have the tendancy to recieve new comport numbers should you change USB port, single usb to serial seems to register by id and keep their number.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,513 Views)

Try to get the help of someone who has done this before.  Maybe hire a consultant or an employee who's done this before.  He can get you a solution in a few weeks instead of you spending a few months on this.  It will be easier for you to learn on a system that he's already built for you.

S G
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,497 Views)