From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume license manager-LabVIEW

I have joined a new company. they are new to LabVIEW . they have setup the server for NI Volume license Manger and they added my computer and my computer ID to thier group. But when I goto 

NI License Manger/Preferences and when I type in tour Host name or IP address or Main license port or com port or any combination of them I can't activate the license . I haev connected through Ethernet and I haev also diabled Wifi to avoid any conflict. Could you please let me know what is missing?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,426 Views)

Hello en99,

I believe you'll want to post your question here (or have this post moved):

Forum: Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Volume-License-Manager-and/bd-p/410

Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,416 Views)

I administer a VLA where I work.  You need to contact the person in your company that administers the Volume License Manager.  Normally they would have created a Volume LIcense Installer using Volume License Manager.  If you install LabVIEW from that location it will automatically be pointed at the VLM and you will be registered with the VLM.  If you already have LabVIEW installed on your machine you can follow these instructions:

Configuring Client Machines Manually

If a client machine already has the appropriate NI software installed, you can manually configure it to point to a volume license server.

Note Manually configuring a client machine does not add any NI VLM administrator information to the client machine and does not send any client information or permission requests to the volume license server.

To manually configure a client machine to point to NI VLM, have the client complete the following steps.

Note These instructions must be completed on client machines.
  1. Launch NI License Manager from the Windows Start menu or from NI Launcher in Windows 8.
  2. Select the Options»Preferences menu item.
  3. Check the Use Network License Servers checkbox.
  4. Enter the names of the volume license servers, separated by commas, on which your NI products should check for licenses. You can enter either a simple server name, a fully qualified domain name, or the server's IP address.

You can also configure your products to look at a specific port on a volume license server, the Main Licensing Port. Enter the volume license server name followed by colon and the Main Licensing Port: server[:port]. For example, the following are all legal server names:

server
    server:27000
    server.domain.com:28432

When no Main Licensing Port is specified, 27000 is implied. Main Licensing Ports range from 1-64000, inclusive.
  5. Click OK to exit the Preferences dialog box.

You then need to add your machine information to the VLM.  Just because your machine knows where to look for the license doesn't mean the license server knows it should let your machine use a license.  The administrator of the VLM can manually add your machine for computer based licenses, or you for user based licenses.  You need to provide the necessary information.  Your VLM administrator should be able to tell you what information and where to find it.

Kelly Bersch
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,400 Views)

Thanks kbbersch

I have done all of them and i told the IT guy to add my computer ID and he is already done it but still when I use the server name or IP Address ( as you instructed) I can't activate and I see a red cross on top of the server name showing it is not activated . Is there anything else that I can do. I use Windows  7 Pro

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,391 Views)

It sounds like you've done everything right but your computer can't see the Volume License Server.  You need to contact IT.  There's probably a firewall or security issue.  National Instruments is very helpful and a great resource.  Your IT people can contact NI and get this cleared up.  We had several issues like this when we set up our VLA.

Kelly Bersch
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,387 Views)

Hi en99,

Are you able to ping the server IP on your computer? If you have, and find you can ping it, can you try following the steps detailed in this KnowledgeBase article? This will allow you to text the connection to a specific port.

Another useful document is this KnowledgeBase article on general troubleshooting for VLM.

Let me know how you get on!

Kind regards,

Matt H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,338 Views)