From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vision Development Module Run Time License?

Solved!
Go to solution
Dear all, I wish to install an application I have built at university onto a laptop for use in another university. The application uses the NI-IMAQdx driver for acquisition from 2 USB cameras, as well as various VIs from the vision development module. I know that there is no legal issue with distributing the Labview Run Time engine but I would like to know where I stand with the vision side of things. To install this application on the laptop will I need to purchase the Vision Develpment Module Run Time License and the Vision Acquisition Software for this laptop, if so how would I inculde this in the install? I notice that the install GUI gives me the option to include the run time engines and drivers but I am not sure how this works without the license? Also any idea on cost? Any advice would be great, Regards, Joe
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,155 Views)

Hi there!

In terms of distributing Vision applications, you will require the Vision Developement System Run Time Licence which comes at a cost. Further information on this can be found at http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/207700

In terms of how you would get this on to the target machine, you could include the driver in the installer as you mentioned at which point you will require the licence on install.

I hope that this helps,

Liam A.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,131 Views)

Hi Liam, 

Thank you for your reply.  So just to get this straight, I would build the application and installer as normal but include the vision development run time engine in the install as well as the NI-IMAQdx driver for the cameras and the Labview run time engine.

After installation on the laptop I assume it wil prompt me for activation keys  to enable the vision development run time engine. 

Would it also be possible to download the run time enviroments separatley on the laptop rather than including them in the install, is this a better way of doing it?

In your email you made it sound as if the license for the vision development run time engine covers the drivers as well, is this the case or do I need a separate license for the acquisition software (ie the NI-IMAQdx driver)?

Thanks for your help,

Joe

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,126 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JED1986

Hi Joe,

Firstly the licence covers the Vision Developement Module so should cover all the drivers required.

You can download the run time engine separately from here:

http://search.ni.com/nisearch/app/main/p/bot/no/ap/tech/lang/en/pg/1/sn/catnav:du,n8:13,ssnav:sup/

You will require the licence to activate it on installation.

As to whether this is a better idea it depends completely on how you want to distribute your application.

I hope this helps!

Liam A.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,105 Views)

Cheers Liam,

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,

Joe

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,102 Views)

How is the NI Vision Development Module Run-Time License implemented? Is it a license file that need to be placed on the distrubution system?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,045 Views)

Also, would it be possible to create an application (EXE) using Vision Development module, and build an installer which will ask a user to get a license for Vision Run-Time in order to run the application? If yes, how can this be done?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,040 Views)