LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Configure serial port

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to use VISA Configure Serial Port(Instr).vi to configure my serial port.

Although the Baud Rate node property is enabled, it is not showing up in the block diagram. Please see attached.

Would appreciate any help, Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,741 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author adilansari

Figured out. Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(7,726 Views)

Then you should put in your message exactly what it is you figured out.  Only then have you given a solution.

Think about what could help someone in the future who is searching the forums if they have the same problem.

Message 3 of 11
(7,716 Views)

Sorry, Should have posted the solution.

Here it is:

http://www.ni.com/getting-started/labview-basics/environment

Every VI displays an icon in the upper right corner of the front panel window and block diagram window. An example of the default icon is shown here. An icon is a graphical representation of a VI. The icon can contain both text and images. If you use a VI as a subVI, the icon identifies the subVI on the block diagram of the VI. The default icon contains a number that indicates how many new VIs you opened after launching LabVIEW.

To use a VI as a subVI, you need to build a connector pane as shown above. The connector pane is a set of terminals on the icon that corresponds to the controls and indicators of that VI, similar to the parameter list of a function call in text-based programming languages. Access the connector pane by right-clicking the icon in the upper right corner of the front panel window. You cannot access the connector pane from the icon in the block diagram window. A subVI icon has a white background on its icon.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,703 Views)
That makes no sense. Are you saying that you edited the function and removed the connections?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(7,695 Views)

So your original problem was that the baud rate control was not connected to the connector panel?  And once you realized you needed to go to the front panel to connect control to the connector panel you were okay?

To correct a few things in your message.  Technically there is no difference between a VI and a subVI.  A subVI is just a regular VI that happens to be used within another VI.  You don't need to have any connectors used in a subVI.  A subVI can use other methods to pass data into or out of it.

A subVI doesn't necessarily have to have a white background.  It's background can be whatever color the LV programmer decided to make it when he created the VI icon.

A main VI can also have a white background.  A main VI could also have controls and indicators connected to its connector panel, and they just don't happen to be used when that VI is run as a top level VI.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,691 Views)

In the code that I had (not written by me)  for whatever reason  the baud rate terminal in the VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi was not connected, so I had go to the VI Icon, switch to Terminal view and add the connection.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(7,686 Views)

VISA Configure Serial Port is a built-in LabVIEW subVI. (It is polymorphic with (Instr) and (Serial Instr) versions that are virtually identical. The baud rate is connected to the VI connector panel at the 2nd terminal on the upper left.

If it is missing in your VI, then someone must have corrupted the VI and saved it back in the LabVIEW VISA library.

I'd recommend repairing your LabVIEW installation.

What version of LabVIEW are you using?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(7,674 Views)

Thanks for the input. I am using Labview 2013. I will repair the installation.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(7,645 Views)

Hi,

I m tring to connect to Keithley 6514 electrometer using labview. I am using Keithley 6514 LV 2009.  I am getting "VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF000E) The given session or object reference is invalid." error. I created NI-VISA-10001.

Thanks.

Jude

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(7,397 Views)