cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual COM port not getting detected using labVIEW installer

Solved!
Go to solution
Hello All,

We have an application that detects Virtual COM port (through USB) using LabVIEW 8.2.1 and performs some I/O operations using this COM port. We've created the installer for this.

Now we are facing a problem that this application runs in one system without any problem and does not run in another one.

Below are the queries I have to debug this problem:

1. The PC where this application is returning error for VISA library error contains another LabVIEW application with version 6.1. Is there any driver conflict between the two versions?

2. Is there any compulsory requirement to install the NI device drivers along with the installer? Or including the additional VISA runtime engines in the Installer would be sufficient for the hardware communication?

Please provide us your inputs to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance.

-Krishna

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(10,588 Views)
Since you wrote the application with a much newer version of NI-VISA, you should install the newer NI-VISA runtime. When you create an installer, there is an option to include 'Additional Installers'. You can include the NI-VISA runtime as well as the NI-VISA Configuration Support.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(10,587 Views)
Hi, I have a question. Can I use a virtual COM port to send and receive data via labview? I tried to create a USB driver for my microcontroller but it didn't work so I am trying to use a virtual COM port and use Labview 8.0 to send and receive data. Help anyone?Please?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(10,540 Views)

Yenks wrote:
Hi, I have a question. Can I use a virtual COM port to send and receive data via labview? I tried to create a USB driver for my microcontroller but it didn't work so I am trying to use a virtual COM port and use Labview 8.0 to send and receive data. Help anyone?Please?

Yes, in general you can do this.  There may be a few instances where people have been unsuccessful.  Make sure the drivers for the USB/Com converter are installed.  Make sure the virtual port shows up in Windows device manager.  Then make sure the virtual com port shows up in Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX).  If you are able to see it in both of those place, I don't expect you to have problems using it in LabVIEW with the VISA resource functions.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(10,538 Views)
Thank you so much! Ravens Fan,
I have one more question to ask before I test this out. Once I've done all you suggested, do I need to implement any handshaking or protocol for my microcontroller to send and receive data from Labview? Or is that already taken care of?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(10,522 Views)
That I don't know.  I have a decent amount of experience using virtual com ports in LabVIEW using either USB/232 converters and remote ethernet USB hubs.  But I have no experience with microcontrollers.  You'll have to look at the documentation for the microcontroller and see what it says.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(10,508 Views)

Hello, I work on a project for my school, and I need to use Labview to control the 8 bits of a IEEE-1284 port.

And I'm new in Labview.

The problem is the IEEE-1284 port is a virtual port, we use a USB/IEEE-1284 converter, and windows  doesn't see it like parallel port but like USB port.

It uses the driver of windows XP.

So MAX doesn't see a parallel port.

Do you know if it's possible to make that MAX sees like a parallel port ?

If it's not possible, does someone have a .vi example to control the 8 bits of a USB/IEEE-1284 converter ?

Thank you for your attention.

Regards
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(9,884 Views)

You should have started a new thread for this.

If you go to Windows Device manager, what does it see it as?  You said is doesn't show up like a parallel port.

What exactly does "it uses the driver of Windows XP" mean?  Did the converter come with its own driver?  Can you download one off the manufacturer's website?

Until you can get Windows to recognize it like a parallel port, there is no way you are going to get MAX to see it as a parallel port.

Have you tried unplugging the USB connector and plugging it in again?

With some of these devices, when you plug them in, it will go through a couple of "Recognizing Hardware" messages as it cycles down through the driver first recognizing it as a generic USB device, then perhaps a USB host, then the parallel port.  Perhaps when you plugged it in, it didn't successfully load all the levels of the driver.

1.  Unplug, replug.  See what happens.

2.  Make sure you use the manufacturer's drivers.  The drivers that come with WinXP may be too generic for this device.

3.  Don't worry about MAX until you see the device show up as a parallel port in Windows device manager.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(9,874 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author KSRK

Sorry for the thread...

The windows device manager sees a USB port.

The manufacturer's website tells that for windows XP we didn't need a driver, windows use his own driver.

I try elder driver from the manufacturer but I have the same result : windows  device manager sees a USB port.

1. Yes I tried it but it sees again a USB port.

2. The manufacturer's drivers didn't resolve the problem.

3. I will ask help to the manufacturer.

Thank you for your help Ravens Fan,

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(9,858 Views)

Dear all,

In my project i need to communication with control system having USB port. Before this project i was using serial communication for transfering the data. But now i want to provide usb communication so that user need not to select each time com port for communicaqtion. It should be like usb mouse or usb keyboard(HOT PLUGGIBILITY).

If any of you can help me to show me my direction, It will be great help.

Thanks 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(7,788 Views)