LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual 19" rack builder

I am writing an application that controls multiple devices in a 19" 42U rack. There are specific types of  equipment in the rack, and the equipment can be rearranged or expanded.  I would like to incorporate a type of 'virtual rack builder' as part of my system configuration process.  I found this web site, and would like to perform the basic function that it does - placing a piece of equipment in the rack and being able to reposition it on grid.

http://rackbuilder.chiefmfg.com/configure.aspx?start=true

Does anyone think this is possible in a LabVIEW GUI? Any ideas on how to approach it would be appreciated.  I could either drag and drop equipment, or add/delete with buttons. Perhaps I could have various JPG images, and programmatically position them on the front panel?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,681 Views)

It's certainly possible, and there are a number of ways you can go. For instance:

1. A full picture control solution. You do the entire UI in the picture control, building everything and processing clicks yourself. This can be powerful, but also requires you to do all the work and can have performance issues.
  2. Use an array of picture controls. The main disadvantage there is that the size of the images has to be identical and you can't drag and drop them directly. You would need another picture control for that.
  3. Use separate picture controls and create enough of them so that you can show and position the ones you want.
  4. Same as the last one, but use subpanels, which will allow you to encapsulate the functionality of an element into a subVI. You can see a related example here - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Independent-cursors-on-array-of-cluster-of-graphs-or-work-around/m-p... . That example doesn't allow drag/drop, but it's certainly possible to add it.

(2,662 Views)

Thanks for the ideas, Sir Knight!   I'll have to do some experimentation.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,649 Views)