LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing CANopen in MAX with NI-9881

Hi,

I'm working with cRIO-9068, LV 2013, and the cRIO CANopen module NI 9881. The NI-9881 has to be externally powered and I am using the CAN power cable hooked up to a 15 V power supply (9-30 V acceptable). The basic problem is that I am should have seen the CANopen module from MAX (as seen here http://forums.ni.com/ni/attachments/ni/170/778599/1/MAX.png ) which should have happened after compiling a VI under the FPGA target and downloading the bitfile. As shown in my tree, I am connected to CRIO 9068 and LabView is aware of 9881. 

I'v combed over the other related discussions to the CANopen module but haven't had any success. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,823 Views)

Hi jcooley,

Please make sure that the bitfile is currently running on the 9068.  There may be a few reasons for this, please check the following and post it here:

Thanks!

Matt S.
Industrial Communications Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,817 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply!

I am running NI-RIO 13.0.1 and  NI- Industrial Comm for CANopen 14.5 

I will send a log on consol activity as soon as I set it up. 

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,810 Views)

Attached is the output of my putty session, as well as the configuration in MAX. I have Console out enabled since there is no console out switch on the 9068. As you can see in the log file I connect to the controller but there is no output after I run the RT vi. Would this indicate that Console Out is not in fact enabled despite what MAX is displaying?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,771 Views)

Hi jcooley,

Thank you for providing that information.  Are you able to communicate over the port or do you get errors when running the CANopen VIs or does an error occur (potentially something like cannot use the CAN port reference)?

For background, I asked for the putty console out to see if we (NI) reported back any errors when running the VI with the 9881 compiled.  Typically, we'd see something print out if there was an error.  If there was no error, we would not get a print out, so it looks like everything is normal from the putty output.

Matt S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,718 Views)

Hi jcooley,

I think I know what may be happening, I didn't notice the software versions you posted.  If you are using LabVIEW 2013 SP1, please upgrade to RIO 14.5, as that version of the software works with the newest version of the CANopen driver.  We had a major change for 9068 bitfiles between RIO 13.0 and RIO 14.0, so that may be the cause behind this.  For further information, please see this KnowledgeBase article: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/90AEA2EB87466CE786257D20005A3A44?OpenDocument.  If you are using LabVIEW 2013, you may need to downgrade your NI-Industrial Communications for CANopen version to 1.0.3.

Please let me know if this works!

Matt S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,712 Views)

Hi Matt,

Thanks for all your help! That might have been part of the problem. I had actually installed the critical update for the RIO device drivers at the end of last week and downgraded the CANopen to 1.0.3.  After doing this I wasn't able to compile the blank vi under the FPGA target to run CANopen. So I uninstalled/reinstalled all the software on the 9068 today and was able to see the connecion in MAX.

I still wasn't able to communicate over my CAN network and the error message suggested I try the firmware update found in the CANopen for industrial communications folder. I followed the instructions there and after a long compilation I was able to update the firmware and then was finally able to communicate with my motor. So it seems like there were a few problems occuring although I'm not sure exactly what they all were. In any case thanks again for your help in solving this problem!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,692 Views)

Hey jcooley,

Glad everything is working.  That's another good point, the newest version of the CANopen driver requires a firmware update on the 9881 for some backend stuff that NI does.  For anyone looking for this thread in the future, to update the firmware you will need to use NI's example finder (Help » Find Example) from there you will need to go to Hardware Input & Output » NI-Industrial Communications for CANopen » Utilities.  There will be upgrade firmware example in this folder.  Follow the instructions in the VI to update your firmware.

Thanks!

Matt S.
National Instruments
Message 8 of 10
(4,688 Views)

Hi Guys,

I have a similiar problem like discriped. I'm using cRIO 9045 and the CanOpen Module 9881. The 9881 module is powered externally with 24V and ist connected to Pin 9 and 6 (GND).

I'm using LabView 2018 SP1, Industrial-Communication for CanOpen 18.0.0 and NI-RIO 18.5 (see Software_installed.png). I already did the firmware update of the CanOpen device succesfully (LED in VI was on). I tried to add the module to the FPGA and "RT Resources" but it unable to add this module there. I can only add the module to the "RT Scan Resources" mode. (see Error_Adding9881). Could someone explain me what it wrong? Please let me know if you need more information? Is there a detailed instruction how to start with the 9881 module?
Thank for your support guys

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,228 Views)

Can you change and save the programming mode in NI MAX for the 9881, and then try to add to your LabVIEW project? Right now it looks like the settings you have deployed to the controller you have the module in Real-Time mode (DAQmx). 

Also, ensure that you had the module in the correct slot when updating/upgrading the firmware. I believe the project for updating the firmware may have the module in Slot 2 of the controller by default.

(You can make these changes in your project too by manually dragging/adding the module in the right place and then deploying the chassis settings. However, it may be easier for you to change and save in MAX if you're new to the module and the CompactRIO with DAQmx controllers.)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,193 Views)