LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video card in LV application

My application is data acquisition and display image intensive. It seems to get bogged down the more images and/or scope displays I try to display on the screen. Would something as simple as a higher-performance video card help speed things up?

Paul
7.1.1/XP/2000
PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,398 Views)

Hi Paul,

as far as i know you can only activate an 3D Hardware Accelerator if you use the 3D Graphs.

The bottle neck when using "thousands" of graphs is the Memory - I think / believe 😉 - because of the many values for each graph

Try not to display each value in a graph => e.g. display only 1 instead of 10 values (can use the que functions to sample down the data for the graphes)

(your monitor can not display all the values you send to a graph - i guess )

regards

timo

---
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,391 Views)
Hi

If you often refresh data on scope you could also change refresh the scope not so often. For example you get 10 data and after that you refresh the scope. If you have a lot of data user could not see any different, but the scope should refresh much better.
I thing it could work...

bogdani
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,382 Views)
A higher performance video card would probably help, but remember we are talking about 2D performance, not 3D, and that is difficult to gauge with modern cards, since the 3D performance is what is usually published.  That said, if the card is no more than two or three years old, you probably can't do significantly better without spending a lot of money. As mentioned in earlier posts, your best bet is algorithmic changes.  You need to reduce the amount of data being sent to the screen.  There are several methods to do this, some of which have already been mentioned:
  1. Decimate the data you send to a single graph.  If you are plotting more than about four data points per pixel width of your plot, you are plotting too much.  The display can't display it, so why bother.  See Managing Large Data Sets in LabVIEW for some decimation algorithms (and other hints about dealing with lots of data).
  2. Don't display as often.  If you display more than about 20 times/sec, your eye can't follow it anyway.  Either average or just don't plot it.
  3. Reduce the number of simultaneous plots you are making.  You can have a tab control and only update the graph when it is actually showing.  Cache the data for the other graphs in a shift register, LV2 global, or single element queue so you can update the other graphs when you actually show them.  Writing data to a reference object, such as those I mentioned, is far faster than plotting it.
Not knowing your application, I can't offer more than general advice - reduce the amount of data you are plotting.  If you are still having problems, give us a few more details about your application and we can probably help you out.  Be prepared for large code additions...
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,361 Views)