LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Application in Real Time under Linux using LabView

I see, Thanks for help. so I will install NI-IMAQ 3.0. All this is to make some proves with the board and the camera, but the idea is to extend this application under Linux, I will work with Labview ver. 6.1, do you know if there is some driver for this board to can work under linux?,by where would you recommend me to go to can install a station of vision under linux using labview and the 1408 board (talking about software support(NI-IMAQ soft))?. Any advise will help so much. right here I have mandrake 9.1, kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk.
and once again thank for the time.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(789 Views)
Berenice,

I can tell you that you're going to have a problem moving this all over to Linux as there is no IMAQ support for Linux. If you wanted to do your own driver development, you might be able to get something up and going. But that would require a fair amount of work. I apologize as I should have seen this from the beginning of the thread...I wasn't thinking about the transition over to Linux. I'd seriously consider avoiding your transition over to Linux if you're going to need the IMAQ capability.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,
Jim Laudie
Applications Engineer, National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(780 Views)
Ok, I see. So The idea to use Linux for this, is to make an application in real time (fast, not excatly predictable), that's the only reason. What would you recommend to can make this without linux, using labview prof. 6.1?
the application is really simple, because I only have to be able to receive the data that the board is capturing, to know the format, I would have to know what do I have to send to the board to can communicate. The real problem is to know the commands that I have to send to the board. What do you think about this?, any suggestion will help.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(770 Views)
Berenice,

I honestly think that you'll run into a lot of work if you try to create and use your own driver. I'd recommend that you pursue another route.

You mention wanting to use real-time for "fast, not exactly predictable" performance. Real-time is often misunderstood. It does not mean "fast." But it DOES mean "predictable." That's the reason you choose to go with a real-time system...for the determinism that it offers. If you don't care about being exactly predictable, but do need something fast, I don't even think you'd need to go the real-time route. I'd recommend a Windows system in this situation.

If you still want to pursue the real-time route, you'll need some sort of device that can run a real-time operating system, whether that be another PC or, possibly, a PXI chassis with a real-time controller. You can find plenty of information on our website about setting up real-time systems. http://www.ni.com/realtime/. In the event that you choose real-time as your direction, you'll need to make sure that you have the LabVIEW Real-Time Module. If you don't currently have it, you'll have to look into purchasing it. That module will allow you to target the real-time machine and run your developed code in that environment. I hope that is helpful to you. If you would like more information on setting up a real-time system, I'd recommend that you call and speak with one of our technical representatives at (888) 280-7645.

Jim Laudie
Applications Engineer, National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(755 Views)
Yes, I can see what you are trying to explain. I always did talk about an application "in real time", not a "real time applic.", that's why I said (fast, not predictable), because I thought that you will talk about the Labview real time module, if I did not clear this; and well the reason to use linux, is because with this OS is possible to dedicate all resources to just one task, in this case the video application.
I will reconsider your advise talking about the route that I will take to can make this work.
Thanks for all your help.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(751 Views)
Berenice,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Hope things go well for you...

Jim
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(745 Views)