LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very large values from accelerometer

Sorry, forgot to attach the vi. Here it is!

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(602 Views)

Hi, did you ever figure this out? I am having same issue with an NI 9181 trying to read an IEPE accelerometer. Dropping it from an inch also results in almost a 100g.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(162 Views)

You are replying to a thread over 9 years old.  It is unlikely the original poster will reply as the above post was the last one they ever made.

I suggest you make a new post including:

• All the hardware you use, not just the NI card
  • A short description of your testing method
  • Any code you've made, saved backwards to LabVIEW 2019

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(152 Views)

@qusaimn wrote:

Hi, did you ever figure this out? I am having same issue with an NI 9181 trying to read an IEPE accelerometer. Dropping it from an inch also results in almost a 100g.

Probably not a good way to test. A large shock can ruin an accelerometer's calibration.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(144 Views)

I don't see anything particularly unreasonable about the reading, although I agree it's not a very good test.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(127 Views)

Nope , chance is high to break it .. unless it's build to survive such shocks.

Depending on hight and surface hardness (and mass ratio) no problem to create extrem accelerations ..

v_down = -v_up = v ,  a ~ 2*v/t    with t the time the sensor touch the ground ... could be very short

(classic: Sensor with long fixed mounted cable. After stripping the setup the cable and sensor are lying on the concrete floor and the (st)ripper coils the cable beginning at the connector while the accelerometer is bouncing over the concrete floor 😮 )

Another chance: a short time loose contact during the shock results in a voltage peak  with a IEPE sensor.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(126 Views)

Hello,

Thank you for the response. I am very new to accelerometers, so I appreciate the guidance. I did make a new post explaining my problem and attached snapshots showing my set up. If someone can guide me I would appreciate it greatly! 

Here is a link to my post:

Reading accelerometers using NI9230 - NI Community

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(100 Views)