cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[VersionNumber] doesn't work for RT?!

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I use the [VersionNumber] tag when I build my host applications both in the exe name and in the folder name. This helps tremendously to maintain different versions of the same application and also to immediately understand which version is stored where.

It is surprising but it seems the same tag doesnt work when I want to build an RT application:

The [VersionNumber] tag in the "target filename" filed creates a file eg: "LEC_RT_V[VersionNumber].rtexe" instead of "LEC_RT_V1.2.3.4.rtexe"

The same tag in the folder name drops an error message (copied below). It is very clearly caused by the tag as if I dont use it my app builds just fine. The app builder DOES create the right folder name so in this case "LEC_RT_V1.2.3.4" but it fails to build the actual rtexe file. (the folder structure is completely empty)

Is there any workaround? It is very inconvenient and error prone to manually rename the folder and the files. Plus its very conterintuitive that I can track the version in the app build, even can set it to auto-increment, but I need to manually change file names.

thanks.

"Click the link below to visit the Application Builder support page. Use the following information as a reference:

Error 7 occurred at Open/Create/Replace File in RTBEP_Generate_Deploy_Instructions2.vi->AB_RTEXE.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_Build.lvclass:Build_from_Wizard.vi->AB_UI_Frmwk_Build.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_UI_FRAMEWORK.vi->AB_Item_OnDoProperties.vi->AB_Item_OnDoProperties.vi.ProxyCaller

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: File not found. The file might be in a different location or deleted. Use the command prompt or the file explorer to verify that the path is correct.
=========================
NI-488: Nonexistent GPIB interface.

c:\BUILDS\RT\LEC_RT_V[VersionNumber]\depinstr.bin"

RT_BUILDER.gif

Message 1 of 10
(3,850 Views)
You could use a post-build VI to move/rename the folder. It's strange that it isn't supported/working for RT - might be worth getting in touch with NI and getting a CAR number.

Also - I just wanted to +1 Kudo you as I didn't realise until I saw your post that you could put [VersionNumber] in the paths as of LV2013. Thanks!

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,807 Views)

So how can I file a CAR?

thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,786 Views)

Where can I learn about [Version Number] and related tags?  I never knew this existed (or, possibly more likely, I've never used it and forgot that it existed ...).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,762 Views)

Bob: It is in the help documentation for the Build specification. I think this is a feature in 2014 and later.

And to give some more info for a standalone application:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361L-01/lvdialog/destination_settings_db/

And of cource on the main help for the Application dialog:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361L-01/lvdialog/build_app_or_dll_db/

And for the Installer:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361L-01/lvdialog/product_info_page/

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,742 Views)

@1984 wrote:

So how can I file a CAR?

thanks.

Raise a support ticket with NI and they will file one for you and give you the number.

(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,731 Views)

DKFire,

Thanks for the info.  I confess I don't scour all of the Help files with each new release ...  I see three tags mentioned:  [ProduceName], [VersionNumber], and [ProductVersion].  Are the last two the same thing, or are they different (and, if so, how)?  Note to self -- read your own Forum Posts, dummy, and Do the Experiment ...

Bob (still learning) Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,706 Views)

I think one is the installer version (not applicable in an executable) and one is the executable version (not applicable in an installer)?

(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,694 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author 1984

Are you using LV 2014? I believe this was fixed in LV 2015 (CAR 477278). A post-build step is probably the best workaround for this.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,673 Views)

Yeap, I use LV2014... I guess you just answered my question. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,667 Views)