cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vectorize an image using Labview

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everybody!

So I'm working with a 3D carving machine (Roland MDX-15) and I'm supposed to design a program that can load images and carve them into a piece of wood using Roland MDX-15.

What I have already done is create a program where you can draw an image using the sketch tools from Labview, and the machine will carve it.

The machine is able to carve the picture using vectors (it's following the lines point per point).

Now, I have to do the same, but from a picture that I load into Labview. Therefore, I need to vectorize the picture so that the machine gets a set of lines to draw. A program that already does that is Dr.Engrave (see youtube if you need to understand what I need).

So, does anybody know a "simple" way to transform a picture into a set of vectors?

Thanks in advance!

Valentine

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(4,122 Views)

It seems ImageMagick can turn images into vetors from the comman line.  

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/magick-vector-graphics.php

There are probably other tools that can do this in a similar way.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25
(4,087 Views)

Thanks, but maybe I haven't been clear enough. I'd like to load the images in labview (for example in a bmp format) and then, thanks to labview, change them into vectors so that they are made of lines that the machine can easily carve into wood.

Any proposition for labview?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(4,082 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author VGans

Hello VGans,

I have assumed that when you are talking about vectorization any edge detection method would be ok to get you started.

If this is a wrong assumption, then just let me know.

Keeping this in mind:

Have you already taken a look at the "IMAQ CannyEdgeDetection" VI?

This could be a good starting point for vectorization purposes.

Can you let me know if this is what you were looking for?

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
(4,055 Views)

Hi Thierry!

It looks like it could be what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it. Do you know where I could download it?

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it. Any idea where I could download it?

And I forgot to mention something quite important: I'm required to work on MAC OSX, and if I'm not mistaking, IMAQ is only supported by Windows.

So if I can't find a way to make it work with IMAQ, I'll try to create my own CannyEdgeDetection.

Thanks a lot!

Valentine

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(4,040 Views)

Hello Valentine,

To use this VI you would also require the NI Vision Development Module, which is not supported on Mac OS.

The latest NI-IMAQ drivers also do not support Mac OS:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/4A127014CA6E006B8625787A0066D329?OpenDocument

Are you already able to get your images into LabVIEW?

Are you familiar with edge detection algorithms?

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(4,031 Views)

Hi,

Yes I'm able to import my images into Labview in BMP or JPEG formats. I've worked on a small "photoshop-like" project before.

However, I'm not familiar with edge detection algorithms, but I've been looking for some information on it. I found some tutorials on the Canny algortihm and Gaussian filter. Normally, I should be able to implement them in Labview.

Thanks for your help!

Valentine

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(4,020 Views)

Hello Valentine,

If you run into issues, then don't hesitate to post a question on the forum.

Kind Regards,
Message 8 of 25
(4,012 Views)

Vectorizing a bitmap image is particularly difficult.

However, a colleague of mine once created a demo unit that took an image and recreated it on an Etchsketch using a couple of motors connected to the axis controls. This was a few years ago, and the developers behind the image conversion code were from NI UK.

I'll reach out to him and see if he has anything he's able to share with you...

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(4,006 Views)

Wow! Thanks a lot! 🙂

I'm already trying a bunch of things with my teammate, and I'll give my results (good or bad) in this post anyway!

Thanks a lot for all your help! 🙂

BTW: what we're supposed to vectorize are scanned drawings made by children 😉

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(3,998 Views)