From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA write buffer

Hello,

What data do we write in the write buffer?

If I only need to get information through serial ports, then, why should I write data in write buffer and then read?

I need to access data from the internet and through serial ports. How do I do using VISA?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,668 Views)
If the instrument requires a command to take a reading, that is what you would write. It's all instrument specific. Some instruments just stream data and then you would not need a write. It all boils down to RTFM.

You can't use VISA as a web browser.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,665 Views)

Okay

I need to monitor a system which is far away through internet. I know I have to use VISA, but what does VISA actually do? How do I get the information to my PC?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,658 Views)
Is it on a local network? Then you can use VISA. Is it a web page? Then you can't use VISA.

VISA is an api that abstracts the low level physical connections such as serial, gpib, tcp/ip, etc.
Message 4 of 9
(4,645 Views)

It is on a local network. 

If the write buffer contains commands to take reading, then when am I actually reading data from LAN ? Is it through VISA read?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,639 Views)
Yes.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,630 Views)

Okay thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,618 Views)

hi

how i write (pwm)by visa labview

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,395 Views)
You've hijacked an unrelated thread with a question that makes no sense. Please start a new thread and really explain what you are asking.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,386 Views)