From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA support USB3.0 devices

Hello,

I would like to know if NI-VISA support USB 3.0 devices like EZ-USB FX3™ SuperSpeed USB 3.0 peripheral controller

If it is the case could you please  specify which  is the relevant visa and labview versions to use.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Ahmed

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,711 Views)

Hi adhouib,

I believe NI-VISA should support USB 3.0. Are you currently having trouble communicating with an instrument, or are you trying  to set up a system? I've found that earlier versions of the driver did not support USB 3.0, but I don't know when exactly support would have been added. Is there a reason you can't use the most recent version of LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,646 Views)

Hello Rey,

I would like to be certain that Visa supports EZ-USB FX3™ SuperSpeed USB 3.0 peripheral controller before purchasing and using LABVIEW+VISA solution.

I did not found any clear information in the documentation provided in national instrument website whether  VISA supports or not USB3.0 devices!

You have listed that earlier versions of the driver did not support USB 3.0.

I would like to know wich driver are you talking about.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Ahmed

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,620 Views)

That is a very different question....  I am fairly sure that you can program VISA with RAW USB to communicate with all USB devices.  But that is not trivial.  RAW USB is tricky.

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,609 Views)

I am using NI-VISA 16.0 and still seeing the problems mentioned here http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/crawl_message?board.id=232&message.id=14381 when connecting to a USB 3.0 device.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,531 Views)

I am working with a camera which supports USB 3.0 only. I'm having LabVIEW 2017, but I unable to use 3.0 interface. Do you have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,616 Views)

I do not believe that you do want to communicate to an USB camera through VISA. VISA allows you to access either USB TMC devices through a relatively high level API or any other USB device through the low level USB Raw interface. As your camera is not a TMC (Test and Measurement Class) device you would have to interface to it through low level USB Raw and that is for most devices and especially cameras anything but trivial. You really do not want to implement a USB Video Device Class driver in LabVIEW as that would be pretty hard to do and the result would be anything but satisfactory.

If your camera is a USB 3 device with support for the generic USB Video Class rather than using some vendor proprietary protocol it should be recognized by all modern OSes automatically as such and then you would use the IMAQdx driver to access the camera. If it uses a proprietary driver instead with support for Windows Direct Show you still would use IMAQdx to access it. If it has a proprietory driver and no support for Windows Direct Show then you are probably best off by getting another camera.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,606 Views)
  • My problem is the same as yours and how did you solve it?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,706 Views)