From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Resource Help

Solved!
Go to solution

So I'm relatively new to Serial and am trying to communicate between a TI MSP430 Launch Pad and LabView to send serial commands back and forth. I have the pilot program running on the Launch Pad and am sending commands to be recieved and cause an LED to blink on the launchpad. I am checking what is being input to the Serial Write command but when I communicate with the device I always get the same thing, which is nothing happening... And then in the VISA resource this little extra symbol shows up. It's almost as if the port recieves the command but doens't execute it and gets hung up. After this point I have to basically uninstall the USB driver or restart my computer to get those little yellow bubbles to go away. Any help is much appreciated, I'll attach the VI I'm using.

SerialComm.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,857 Views)
Solution
Accepted by rkmadse

That little symbol just means that it is being used.  If you properly cose your ports, that would not be there.  With that many COM ports, are you sure you are using the right one?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 4
(2,850 Views)

You are using all the defalut setting for your VISA serial setup.

Are those the correct settings for your device?

Also are you sending the right command string to your device?

Like when you select LED ON! you are actually sending the command string "LED ON!" to your device.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 3 of 4
(2,833 Views)

You have to actually close the VISA connection when you're done using it, otherwise you'll have to restart the computer.

Message 4 of 4
(2,827 Views)