LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

Solved!
Go to solution

I am getting the error mentioned while operating VISA drivers

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(21,831 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ravikumar poturaju

Hi Ravi,

• Verify that all the serial settings are correct (for example, baud rate, data bits, and stop bits). The device and the serial port must have the same settings.
  • Try increasing the VISA session timeout value.  This error often occurs when you are reading or writing large amounts of data and it takes longer than the default timeout to send or receive the data.

If you are experiencing this error for a VISA Read, verify that you are not trying to read too many bytes. Read only 1 byte at a time while debugging.

If you do not get the error now, increment the number of bytes you read until you get the timeout error again. This tells you how many bytes that command sends back.

Have you tried to monitor what you're actually getting from the read??

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks as kudos only:)
Message 2 of 19
(21,826 Views)

Hi Ravi,

when Danil writes "Have you tried to monitor what you're actually getting from the read??" then this is a really good advice.

If he would just follow that too... 🙂

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 3 of 19
(21,821 Views)

i got it

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(21,816 Views)

Sorry, can you explain what was the solution to this? As I am facing the same error. thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(10,959 Views)

Hi Abega,

@Aaabbb2020 wrote:

Sorry, can you explain what was the solution to this? As I am facing the same error. thanks 

Message #2 contains several suggestions: which of them have you tried?

Mind to attach your VI and a description of the communication protocol of the device you are trying to talk with?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(10,954 Views)

I am trying to communicate with a RF receiver. 

The receiver require a hex cmd to be sent 0x04 0x6A 0xE3 0xD8. from this it should return a string. 

I have tried sending the hex cmd using a terminal software and it sends successful. on labview i do not achieve this.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(10,937 Views)

Hi Abega,

@Aaabbb2020 wrote:

The receiver require a hex cmd to be sent 0x04 0x6A 0xE3 0xD8. from this it should return a string.

You don't send that data and you request just "0" bytes when trying to read:

You also initialize to use a TermChar: does your device support TermChars in its responses?

Can you attach a manual of the device which describes the communication protocol?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(10,934 Views)

Sorry that was the data saved. 

I have wired the serial port in a loopback test confirmation. 

the VI works and returns the write cmd when byte count is set to 4 or less. although does not work when byte count set to > 4. See attached for demonstration.

Error Code - 

Error -1073807339 occurred at VISA Read in Serial Communication RF Receiver V2.vi

Possible reason(s):

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

How do I disable the TermChar? 

Manual is not available to send sorry. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(10,926 Views)

Hi Abega,

@Aaabbb2020 wrote:

the VI works and returns the write cmd when byte count is set to 4 or less. although does not work when byte count set to > 4.

How do I disable the TermChar? 

So you should read 4 bytes when you expect them as response.

Read the help for the serial port initialisation function to learn about TermChar handling!

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(10,921 Views)