cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm trying to connect my Ophir Vega power meter to Labview. I have windows 8.1 OS, labview 2013 32bit and VISA 5.4.1. 
However, when I try to initialise the instrument, i get an error "VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information..." . I can see the device in Measurement and Automation Explorer. 

Everything works fine with the same power meter on Labview 8.2 and VISA 5.2 on windows XP 32bit machine.  I tried disabling windows driver signature enforcement on windows 8.1 - no luck. Any suggestions? I'm now downloading older version of VISA.

p.s. sorry for Bold text, I don't know why I can't change it. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,523 Views)

I found a problem, but no solution yet. It is in VISA OPEN command. Resource CLASS is set to 'I/O instr" but device needs "USB RAW" it seems. It is a complex program built for different devices and as far as I understand "INSTR" wire class is the most general and may be adapted for other types. I managed to open the instrument but the rest of the program is failing then

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,496 Views)

Just guessing:

Right click on the constant or resource name control for the device --> Select VISA Class --> USB RAW

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,490 Views)

no, i tried that, then the rest of the program doesnt work.
I found a partual solution , instead of manually selecting device, I inserted device info "USB0::0x0BD3::0x0334::NI-VISA-10001::RAW" straight to VISA OPEN. Now it opens, but does not stream data... 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,482 Views)

Stream data does it work for your earlier version ?

Try out to share your code, it might help

BR,

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,479 Views)

yes, data streaming works for earlier version. I found a problem. 

"Fract/Exp string to value" function does not work. I have 'Value string' type data, it looks like this when I probe it - "*0.346" for example. String contains correct values, same that I see on power meter. But converting it to number using "Fract/Exp string to value" gives 0 all the time. I guess I'm really near to fixing my problem. I won't include my code, since it is not really mine, it's official from Ophir.

I don't understand how can it work with other laptop and not with this.. I hope it will work on other lab's PCs. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,468 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sarunaszx

I got it to work, just needed to change "Fract/exp String to value"  "use system decimal point" to false. 

Thanks for help and good will. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,459 Views)

I am getting the same error while communicating with the vega power meter. I registered the dll and ocx from the startlabs2.4 exe. Also I used swipinf file to register the USB.

Is there anything else we need to set up?

Thanks in advance!

Anna

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,843 Views)

@Annapoorani wrote:

I am getting the same error while communicating with the vega power meter. I registered the dll and ocx from the startlabs2.4 exe. Also I used swipinf file to register the USB.

Is there anything else we need to set up?

Thanks in advance!

Anna

I am sorry, I really do not remember anything on this matter. 

Try the method which I described in the last comment.. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,831 Views)