From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Find resource VI and TCPIP devices

I use LabView 7.0. I discovery very strange thing. If I call VISA Find resource VI with expression
TCPIP?*INSTR then I get all TCPIP devices presented in MAX configuration. It does not matter whether the device is swith ON or OFF. Is it a defect?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,336 Views)
This is expected behavior, at least to me. VISA Find Resource returns the resource because you manually configured it locally. You really don't want VISA doing a lot of unnecessary ethernet traffic at that point in time, just to see if it's really there. Obviously, though, NI-VISA doesn't follow this behavior for local bus types, because the latency is much much smaller. So I do understand why you may see this as inconsistent.

What you may want to consider is writing a small sub-VI that wraps VISA Find Resource, VISA Open, and if necessary, VISA Close. Then you can filter out the ones that you can't access.

Dan Mondrik
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,339 Views)
Dear Dan Mondrik, than you for your reply.

In my humble opinion the Find resource call have to return the same data as MAX shows. There are different signs for switch ON and OFF devices in MAX window (see attachment).
It seems to me that it will be the best solution if NI offers the code, which used in MAX for searching TCPIP devices in local Network. The execution time of this code is small enough.
By the way, I tried to use direct NI VISA-COM 3.0 library call VisaComLib.ResourceManagerClass.FindRsrc() and explored the same feature - call return all configurated TCPIP devices. It does not matter whether device is switched ON or OFF.

Mikhail
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,336 Views)

Dear All!

Have anyone found a way how to discovery TCPIP connected instruments (not configured in MAX) from LabView?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,161 Views)
Hello,

You could try doing a broadcast, and filtering out the responses to find out which ones are from your instruments. The forum post here should be helpful. Thanks.

Regards,

Message Edited by _Belle on 04-16-2006 10:42 PM

Ebele O.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,145 Views)

Dear Belle
thank you for your assistance very much.

Would you, please, offer any way how to do broadcast for VXI-11 type instruments (for example Tektronix oscilloscope). In such a case there is no port number in config.

With best regards,

Mikhail Kozlov

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,129 Views)
Hello Mikhail,
 I am not sure of how you can do it if it's not bound to a specific port number, but I'll repost if I find anything. Thanks.

Regards,
Ebele O.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,111 Views)