From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI wants to save over current Report Generation Toolkit files when building

Good day everyone,

A contractor recently developed a VI for the company I work for, and it required the use of the 2013 Report Generation Toolkit. After getting it installed, I could open the project and VI without any issues, but when ever I try to save or build the project, I am asked to save dozens of files from ..\vi.lib\addons\_office\word.llb and ..\vi.lib\addons\_office\_wordsub.llb\

I am using LabVIEW 2013 Professional. What could be causing this and are there any solutions?

Thank you for your time,

James

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,108 Views)

Could it be trying to update the VIs from a previous version of LabVIEW?

If you're worried, perform a "Save As" on the VIs (with an added suffix) that show in your dependencies. I do this often when I know I want a specific version of a vi.lib VI after making a change.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,106 Views)

Thanks for the reply James, 

I'm not sure why it would think it needs to updated the VI's since I'm using LabVIEW 2013 and downloaded the 2013 version of Report Generation Toolkit. I did, however, notice from "Save As" that the new files was smaller than the orignial file.

If it's of any help, the explanations for the changes are "VI recompiled", "External component modified since last VI Save", for all of them, and additionally "Connector Pane modified" and "Name of location of VIs in the file system changed" for C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2013\vi.lib\addons\_office\word.llb\Word Add New Document.vi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,088 Views)

What version of MS Office are you using?  Perhaps that is somewhat different than what version NI was using when they compiled and released that toolking.  It seems like there are changes in ActiveX between office versions that can trigger changes in the VI's.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,084 Views)

RavensFan,

Our work computers have Microsoft Office 2007 on them.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,082 Views)

I'm going to guess that my theory may be correct.

Office 2007 is about 9 years old.  Since then 2010, 2013 were major releases that came out, and would both be in the timeline of the final development for LV 2013.  That either of those would be "current" versions in line with LV 2013.  And since them versions like 2015, 2016 where MS has started that Office 365 or subscription based versioning.

I don't use the toolkit much.  So I havent' had a reason to throughly debug code using it, or to make sure the libraries have updated and been resaved.  I do know that when we were using Office 2010 as our official version for many years after it came out, that when I opened user's VI's in more recent versions of LabVIEW, I would get prompted to save RGT VI's.  Which I just generally ignored.

Next time you get prompted, look at the list of unsaved changes and see if it gives you a clue.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,077 Views)

Every explanation contains "VI recompiled" and "External component modified since last VI Save".

Wether or not I allow the save, the CRC seems to change with every build. This isn't an issue experienced with other VI's that don't use the Report Generation Toolkit, so it it likely the culprit somehow.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,062 Views)