From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI scripting: VI modification bit not set of FP change

Hello,

To keep track of the version installed I have the text "Release <number> <Date>" text on the frontplanel. Since I keep forgetting to update this text I tought let's make a VI that I can run as pre-build action.

The VI I made is below:

2015-05-18 11_12_18-Probe Configurator Actor.lvlib_Probe Configurator.lvclass_Update Release Number .png

However when I run this code the text is updated but the modification bit is not set. So after I run this code the * won't appear on the VI referenced as static on the start of this VI.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

note: there is only 1 text decoration on the front panel so I have no problems with other text getting overwritten.

Message 1 of 5
(2,857 Views)

Hi Tim,

can you please elaborate what you mean by:

...the * won't appear...

Have you tried doing the same with a String element? That way you could use the "Value" Property.

Edit: I tried this out and running the referencing VI causes the Version number of the referenced VI to increase just fine, please give some more insight on what is not working yet.

Remember Cunningham's Law
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,827 Views)

I haven't looked into forcing the dirty dot (maybe it can be done with other programmatic changes, like moving something or adding an undo transaction), but the question might be why you need the dirty dot? Why not just call the Save Instrument method on the VI after you make the change?

(2,821 Views)

Instead of using a static VI reference directly, do it like this:

RecMod.png

Don't forget to close the reference when done/

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 4 of 5
(2,802 Views)

@PeterFoerster

With the * I mean the star that appears if you change something and don't save it. If you save the VI the * dissapears. (Also known as the dirty bit) (see screenshot, the * is circled)

@tst

That was the trick. Somehow LabVIEW will save the VI even is the dirty bit was not set.

@paul_cardinale

Haven't tryed that option. The solution tst provided was suffuicient. (by the way: thanks for the close reference hint)

So for future reference this is now my full code:

2015-05-19 16_08_13-Probe Configurator Actor.lvlib_Probe Configurator.lvclass_Update Release Number .png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,774 Views)