cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI missing from project and disk

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

After I opened an existing project, I can't find the top-level VI anymore.

It is not in the project explorer, nor in Windows Explorer or in the recycle bin.

However, after a search in the local disks, I found this file (The VI's name was "UI 0.3 (Temperature).vi")

lost file.png

I don't know what it is and how I could recover the vi file from it.

I tried to find the file on the disk usin Recuva, without success.

I'l using LabVIEW 8.5. Do you have an idea of how to recover this missing file?

Thanks!

LabVIEW 2013 SP1
Windows 7 64bit
Windows Server 2012 64 bit
Windows 8.1 32 bit
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,342 Views)

I have two questions related to your problem.  (not that you'd necessarily have the answers).

1.  Why does this show up as some sort of Internet Explorer file?  And why when you look at the properties, it looks like a shortcut to Internet Explorer.  It thinks it is some sort of URL rather than a VI.

2.  Why did the spaces in your filename get replaces with %2520?  %20 makes sense since that is the hex code for space.  When you open a VI that is downloaded from the internet, the name will get ASCII codes embedded in it.  But %25 or %2520 makes no sense.

Make a copy of that file.  Try renaming it to get the spaces back in there, (or take them out completely).  Try to get the file to show up in Windows explorer to look like a LabVIEW file rather than an Internet shortcut.  Somehow in Windows, it is not associated with LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,335 Views)

Hi 

I don't know the answers for both your questions, but I was wondering the same things as you are.

As you can see, the location of the file doesn't show in the details view of the search result. What I can tell you is that it is not where the VI is supposed to be, as when I perform a search within the correct directory, it finds nothing.

I'm going to narrow the search down in an attempt to find the location of this mysterious file.

Oh, and when I opened LabVIEW the time I discovered that the file was missing, it proposed to investigate a LV crash. Silly me, I just dismissed it because I didn't notice that crash at that time.

LabVIEW 2013 SP1
Windows 7 64bit
Windows 8.1 32 bit
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,332 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Baobob

False alert. Last time I worked, I saved this Top-level VI as another name, somewhere else on the disk. I just opened what I though would be a sub-VI and tadah, it was the missing VI.

Thanks again!

LabVIEW 2013 SP1
Windows 7 64bit
Windows 8.1 32 bit
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,326 Views)

RavensFan wrote:

2.  Why did the spaces in your filename get replaces with %2520?  %20 makes sense since that is the hex code for space.  When you open a VI that is downloaded from the internet, the name will get ASCII codes embedded in it.  But %25 or %2520 makes no sense.

I know this one's been answered, but I just had to get my 2 cents in. It does sound like some really weird unconventional escape coding there, but %25 is actually hex for % (percent), so it looks like something got pulled through the escape-coding algorithm twice, and since the space was already replaced with "%20", the % then was replaced with "%25". So you'd have to unescape it twice to get the original back. Maybe that was NSA's secret ultra-secure encrypting process, and we

NO, PUT ME DOWN...

I'M NOT A SPY, I DON'T KNOW THIS ASSANGE DUDE...

I HAVE A RIGHT TO CALL MY LAWYER!!!

GET THAT HANDKERCHIEF OFF MY FA....

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
Message 5 of 6
(2,311 Views)

@camerond wrote:

I know this one's been answered, but I just had to get my 2 cents in. It does sound like some really weird unconventional escape coding there, but %25 is actually hex for % (percent), so it looks like something got pulled through the escape-coding algorithm twice, and since the space was already replaced with "%20", the % then was replaced with "%25". So you'd have to unescape it twice to get the original back. Maybe that was NSA's secret ultra-secure encrypting process, and we

That makes a lot of sense,  I guess if it went through a third time, it would have become %252520.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,308 Views)