LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI gets relinked

Hello Everyone,

I am using the vi called 'Point to Row-Col.vi' from LabVIEW 7.1's vi.lib in an application. I will be opening the application both in LabVIEW 7.1 and LabVIEW 8.2. When I open the same application in LabVIEW 8.2, this vi alone gets relinked to the vi of same name present in LabVIEW 8.2's vi.lib. But this vi results in popping up an error in 8.2. Anyone know the reason why this is happening? I hereby have attached the Error pic. Is there a turnaround for this problem? Like I will always be using only the LabVIEW 7.1 vi. Even if I open the application in 8.2, it should link only to the old 7.1's vi.
Ya Ya
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(3,103 Views)
Hello.

This is a nasty work-around but it should make your code work.

Open the 'Point to Row-Col.vi' and save it into your project direcotry under a different name (maybe 'Point to Row-Col-project.vi'). Then replace the 'Point to Row-Col.vi' to 'Point to Row-Col-project.vi' in your code.

However.. This is, as I stated, nothing I actually would recommend. Upgrade both of your computers to 8.2 and your problem is solved in a much nice:er way.

Cheers

//Beckman
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(3,090 Views)

Hi Beckman,

I tried this already but the problem still is, there are some sub VIs in that vi which would not be stored to the same folder. And so, each time when you open your application in LabVIEW 8.2, it will search for those vis and the user have to select those vis before running the application.

Thanks,

Vasanth.

Ya Ya
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(3,086 Views)
Hello again.

I must clearly state that I am myself against what I am going to propose. But it should absolutly work.

Open the rows vi. Take up the hiarchy of that vi and save every vi under it to different names in the project directory.

😎

//Beckman
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(3,083 Views)

Beckman,

There is again a problem. It is not allowing to save me the vi hierarchy nor is it allowing me to view any of its subVIs 😞

Thanks,

Vasanth.

Ya Ya
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(3,077 Views)
Hello

Hmm.. That's sad. I was certain that it would work. 😞

If I find a better solution I'll post it.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(3,072 Views)
It looks like that the 7.1 version of that subVI has some Tree Control properties that are no longer supported in 8.2. So simply saving the 7.1 version with a new name isn't going to work.

I don't have 7.1 installed right now and I can't find that particular VI in my 8.2 install. Is it part of an add-on toolkit or module?

Your best solution is going to be run the same version of LabVIEW on both machines if you need to edit on both. Otherwise, just edit on a single machine, build an executable and run that on the other machine.

One thing you might try is to save the 8.2 version of that VI back 7.1.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
Message 7 of 20
(3,067 Views)
Beckman and Ed,

Thanks for your suggestions. Sure, I will try going by the way you told me to do Ed. I will update you if any of this works.

Thanks,
Vasanth.
Ya Ya
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(3,054 Views)
Ed,

Sorry, Converting the vi from LabVIEW 8.2 to LabVIEW 7.1 does not work as some of the methods available only in 8.2 are used and so when converting they turn out to be invalid.

Thanks,
Vasanth.
Ya Ya
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(3,050 Views)

Ed,

You can find the vi in the following location:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.2\vi.lib\tree\Tree Point Converter.llb\Point to Row-Col.vi

Thanks,

Vasanth.

Ya Ya
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(3,048 Views)