From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI for ASL F100 Digital Thermometer

I have been trying to create a LabVIEW VI for my ASL F100 digital thermometer. It says it uses VISA and SCPI command format. I can connect to the device, but cannot pass commands through (ex. *IDN?) using a custom VI or VISA Interactive Control. There is a note that says an interval of 1 ms to 2 ms should be allowed between transmitted characters, which makes me wonder if this could be the problem.

Has anyone integrated a F100 with LabVIEW, or does anyone have any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,090 Views)

I worked a lot with 'simple' µ-controllers that had the exact same problem (due to 1 byte buffer used). Even worse if there is no handshaking implemented....

If you try hyperterm and type in the command you should be able to communicate due to your build in finger delay  😉  (Each stroke is send directly) 

Try better 5ms than 1ms.

possible byte delay 

Message Edited by Henrik Volkers on 11-04-2008 10:56 AM
Message Edited by Henrik Volkers on 11-04-2008 10:58 AM
Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 2 of 13
(4,070 Views)

It would be simpler to just use String Subset rather than jumping into and out of arrays. Smiley Wink

Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 11-04-2008 09:07 AM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,055 Views)

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, after implementing the code, I still receive a VISA timeout error. I have increased the timeout value to as high as 60,000 ms, but still receive a timeout error.

My VI is below. Any further suggestions?

LabVIEW VI screenshot for ASL F100

-Jason 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,038 Views)

Is this a serial or GPIB connection. That's an important piece of information that you have left out.

I'm going to assume serial and have you first performed a sanity check in Hyperterminal? You should do that first to verify that your com settings (which are missing in the VI), the cable is correct, and you are sending the correct commands.

A timeout error is almost always the result of not sending data correctly.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,033 Views)
It is a USB Serial Connection. The device connects with Hyperterminal and every command executes properly. The com settings (bits/s, data bits, stop bits, parity and flow control) match the default values (9600, 8, 1, none and none, respectively). I'm at a complete loss.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,994 Views)
But what exactly are you sending? Does the command require a termination character such as a CR or LF? If it does, did you set the front panel string control to '\' Codes Display so that you can send a \r (CR) or \n (LF)?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,991 Views)

The device does require a CR termination character. I have used Codes Display to ensure that both a \r and \n were entered, but without success. An example function I'm sending is a basic *IDN? command for identification code or SYSTEM:REMOTE, which puts the instrument in remote USB control mode. The front and back end are attached.

ASL F100 control VI

Message Edited by jhein on 11-06-2008 03:16 PM
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,982 Views)
SYSTEM:REMOTE is not a query and you shouldn't be trying to do a read. Queries end with a '?'.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,976 Views)

I made this .vi to configure and read an IsoTech or ASL F100 thermometer. It supports commands to select the Mode (Local, Remote) and the Units (C, F, K, Ohms). You can also select which channel to read (A, B, A-B) or you can ping it with *IDN. I didn't bother with the data logging functions since I will be using LabView to do that. Note that when you switch between channels it takes an extra 5 seconds for the thermometer to switch and take a reading, otherwise if you stay on the same channel it's almost instantaneous. It seems to work a lot better than the U-LOG data logging software that came with the thermometer for my applications. Tim Van Blarcom

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,809 Views)