From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI does NOT open in LV2011 SP1

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

Currently I am upgrading all my LabVIEW code from LV 8.5 to LV2011 SP1. I have a lot of these files to upgrade and majority of them upgrade just fine. Maybe out of 300 files I have two files right now that I cannot open up in LV2011 SP1 and save it under this software version. It does not give me any error message nor do I get the front panel. All it does, it starts to load and when it comes to finally compile and to open up the front panel at that point it just sits there and eventually LV freezes and I have to close LV forcefully. I even tried to do a mass compile but with no success. It seems that it cannot compile the file fully  If I go back and try to open these two files in LV8.5 I can open both of these files just fine without any problems.

I have read a lot of posts on this forum hopping to find a solution but unfortunately with no success.

I would really appreciate if someone could give me some tips what else I can try out. I would hate to redo these two files because they are large files and I hope to find an easier way to get them to open up in LV2011 SP1.

Thank you Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,224 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author nxb

Here's a couple of things I have tried (in no particular order) under similar circumstances:

1. Open the VI in 8.5.1, go to the diagram, select all, copy, paste into a new SubVI. Rewire the con pane, save and try opening it in 2011
  2. Systematically delete portions of the VI (make sure you have a backup), save and try opening it in 2011, most likely you'll find one particular SubVI or node that is causing it to fail. Sometimes simply replacing that node with the same node will fix it.
Charles Chickering
Architecture is art with rules.

...and the rules are more like guidelines
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,204 Views)

let's see them.

A couple ideas:

1. Are there config file functions? (the ini file API was vastly improved in the 8.6-2009 jump and can cause headaches)
  2. Code Interface nodes? ( depreciated since 2009)
  3. FP Open property nodes (depreciated in 2011)
  4. What version were the original vis developed in?  (multiple mutations like 4.0-5.1-6.i-7.0-7.1-8.0-8.20-8.5-2011 has been known to add complexity)
  5. any decendancies on old toolkits that are not installed in the 2011 envirnment?
  6. scripting functions that are not enabled in the 2011 envionment?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,195 Views)

@nxb wrote:

All it does, it starts to load and when it comes to finally compile and to open up the front panel at that point it just sits there and eventually LV freezes and I have to close LV forcefully. 

How long did you wait? Sometimes you simply need to wait a bit longer, even if is says "not responding".

How complex are the VIs? (you said they are "large files")

I suggest you submit these VIs to NI so they can analyze what the problem is.

Or you could also attach one of the files here. Maybe it can be opened in LabVIEW 2012, then backsaved to 2011.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,188 Views)

Hi All,

Just to inform you that I was able to eventually open those two files. After I have systematically deleted portions of code of these two files I have finally discovered that I had a lot of "Add Sequence Local" on mine sequential frame. After removing all these Sequence Locals and by creating a new subVI that mimics the job of those Sequence Locals I was able to finally open those two files just fine.

So it turns out that these "Add Sequence Local" take a lot of memory and therefore it took too long for my two files to open up.

Thank you very much to everyone who tried to help me on this issue but special thanks goes to "Charles_CLA".

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,133 Views)