LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI containing Event Structure will not receive front panel events in LabVIEW Real-Time.

Hi again, I'm working in my first UI (attached VI).

It works when running directly from PC. It doesn't when running from cRIO, there's the message "VI containing Event Structure will not receive front panel events in LabVIEW Real-Time". I've been reading and I found that "Event structures on RT targets do not support events associated with user interface objects, such as VI panels or controls. For example, associating the Value Change event with a control does not work. RT targets support only user events".

1. Is that the problem? If it is, how can I create Mouse Up, Mouse Enter, Value Change (or other user interface events) user events?
  2. If I run my VI in FPGA mode should it run?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,316 Views)
Yup. Realtime VIs don't have front panels and so don't have front panel events.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,304 Views)

I'm a little confused with your answer. So, if I modify my VI and get all the actual front panel into an HMI application (targeting a TPC and creating all the respectives shared variables) it should work?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,282 Views)

I'm confused by your abbreviations, but if you've got a Host application talking to the RT Target, you can get Front Panel Events from the Host and pass the information (using Shared Variables or other means) to the Target.  That's the "expected" way to do this.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,274 Views)

Hi Bob, do you have a link to a tutorial about what you said? I'm very confused.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,266 Views)

Remember now, NI sells RT controllers with monitor outputs.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/12602/en/

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/2698/en/

Never used one so no idea how it works with or without the event structure.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,258 Views)

Thanks to Hooovahh's Post, I now know what HMI means.  What I was describing was the simple Real-Time Project that NI uses, where the code on the PC is "normal" PC code that has Front Panels, Event Loops that handle Value Changed Events on Front Panel Controls, and (usually) use a Producer/Consumer model to pass the Events into a main processing loop that can "talk to" the RT Target using a variety of mechanisms.  I believe that LabVIEW 2012 and later (and possibly earlier, as well) have some Example Real-Time Projects (look for Real-Time Data Acquisition and Logging) where Network Streams are the "exchange mechanism", but you could use many of the same ideas with Shared Variables.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,242 Views)
You all were right. Event structures doesnt work from VIs deployed in RT hardware (as cRIO). I created an application associated with the VI and it ran without problems in TPC (touch panel computer). Now Im dealing with the size of the front panel, it seems its quite difficult to fit screen size. Thanks for all your answers. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,222 Views)

Since it looks like you are new to the whole RT and machine control, I recommend giving this a good read: NI LabVIEW for CompactRIO Developer's Guide

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,200 Views)
Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,189 Views)