LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI as VISA Resource ?

Hi,

im using a NI FPGA Card on one Computer and i would like to control it from other computers. It would be nice if it is possible to make the FPGA Computer a VISA instrument. So i could find

this FPGA-Computer over NI MAX as Ethernet resource. Then i could simply pass commands over the VISA interface from other computers. Is this possible? Are there existing examples how i could

archive this?

greetings

Alexander

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,316 Views)

Hi Alexander,

nope.

You can create a VI that handles commands received over network and sends answers back over network. But you have to program this on your own! (Server-Client scheme…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 3
(2,289 Views)

If you create a VI that acts as a server and accepts TCP connections, then you can use the VISA TCP functions to read and write to it. There are plenty of examples of TCP communication in LabVIEW. You need to implement the commands yourself; VISA will only send and receive data. Making it possible for your device to be discovered automatically is more difficult (and may not be possible depending on the configuration of your network) - you will need to find and implement whatever protocol NI uses for discovery. Otherwise, on the clients, you'll need to create the VISA resource manually, by entering the IP address of the FPGA computer.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,257 Views)