LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Server and Shared Variables work with WAP but not wireless card

With the system using the built-in wireless card - Shared Variables don't transmit data.

I've got my project hosting shared variables on the Windows Host side.

Programmatically deploying the shared variables does not give any error, I get no warnings or errors when writing or reading to/from said shared variables.

I get no VI Server error when launching the code on the cRIO target - BUT my shared variables are not publishing any data.

When I switch over to using a WAP connected to the LAN port the program works flawlessly.

My Firewall exceptions evidently are correct for the LAN port, i.e. I've got all the right exceptions for port 2343, 6000-6010, etc. etc.

I *thought* all those exceptions were carried over to any port that was configured to use the Windows Firewall, like the built-in wireless card on the laptop.  Why would I not be getting any data back from my Shared Variables when using the built-in wireless card?  Any suggestions would be helpful. 

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Senior Systems Analyst II
NASA Ames Research Center
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,629 Views)

OK....

Upon further checking within the code - I am able to open an application reference to the cRIO by targeting it with the it's IP Address using the wireless card, but when I try to open the VI reference to the Top Level VI within the rtexe it is not happening.  If it does happen with no error (somehow, I don't change any code), then I get no transmission of data from the Shared Variables.

When I switch to the WAP it gets the App Ref and VI Ref real quick with no issues.  Although I did have to power down the cRIO to stop getting an error 63 from the Open Application Ref after switching back to using the WAP on the host PC.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,608 Views)

Hi Ryan,

I understand that networking issues can be tricky. I'll look into this. I hope someone else might think of something. 🙂

Thanks,

Dan Richards

Dan Richards
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,592 Views)

Hi Ryan,

I found this article. Is that what you're looking for?

Regards,

Dan Richards

Dan Richards
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,581 Views)
Nothing opens when I click on the link for that article.
Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,556 Views)

ok I was able to open the document after searching for the document number on ni.com.  The title is "Deploying Shared Variables to a Specific Network Card".

Trying the suggestion seemed to allow the Shared Variables to communicate after restarting the laptop.

I'm a little concerned about having to set the Specific IP address in the project - what happens when I deploy an executable?

Does this configuration STEP apply in that case?  Dopcument title "

How Do I Distribute a Real-Time Application with Shared Variables to Multiple Users?"

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,546 Views)

Hi Ryan,

That is a great question. When you deploy an executable, it will retain the original target IP address for the host machine. Rather than creating a new installer for each executable, you could either take the step described in that article you found or change the IP address of your wireless network card. If you'd like more information about that let me know and I'd be happy to help!

Regards,

Dan Richards

Dan Richards
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,532 Views)